Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 11x14 versus 8x10

Re: 11x14 versus 8x10

"I plan to shoot largely portraits, often in environmental settings e.g. factory/restaurant workers etc."

with 4x5 or 5x7 the image will usually be enlarged in the print, with 11x14 it's enlarged in camera. You must get closer with longer lenses = very little DOF, kinda tough for environmental portraits. Easiest answer is to try out an 8x10 with 5x7 reducer back. As you go up in format the prices for everything expand exponentially while availability decreases exponentially, the lines cross at 8x10.

Have fun with it.

I'll throw my 2 cents in on the subject. I have used 4/5, 5/7, 8/10 and 11/14 formats and considering you would like to do on location portraits (I'm assuming poorly lit spaces?) I would think it would be difficult with 11/14 given the lens choices available to the average joe are not gonna be very fast and it will be difficult for the sitter to maintain a pose unless you can control the lighting - it might be a fun challenge to try though. If you can control the light 11/14 makes a very beautiful portrait camera.

With 8/10 you'll have a better assortment of faster lenses to choose from making it a little simpler to accomplish your goal of environmental portraits. You'll have to decide if you can live with the smaller negative of 8/10 vs 11/14. 8/10 enlargers show up frequently but rarely 11/14 enlargers. The image quality between the 2 sizes in a contact print will be similar IMO but the 11/14 will command a presence the 8/10 doesn't due to size alone. I have settled on 8/10 for almost everything now with everything else collecting dust. Film choices are a bit larger for stock items and it is no problem to enlarge with my 8/10 enlarger if I want. I enjoy alt processes so anything smaller than 8/10 doesn't appeal to me and if I want a larger negative to work with I just enlarge onto litho film now instead of reaching for a larger camera. Having said that, 11/14 is a lot of fun to work with

It sounds as if budget is not a problem for you and if I were in that position I would try both formats and pick which one that you get along with best. You'll probably be able to get your money back by selling the format you don't want to use.
    Regards
    Erik

Thanks again all.

More valuable advice which is really making me evaluate what I want from large format.

It is becoming apparent the more I delve into this that so many variables are involved, so many 'horses for courses'. Please keep the comments coming, I am learning a lot, and researching all the minutiae alluded to in your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by LFdilettante View Post
    Thanks again all.

More valuable advice which is really making me evaluate what I want from large format.

It is becoming apparent the more I delve into this that so many variables are involved, so many 'horses for courses'. Please keep the comments coming, I am learning a lot, and researching all the minutiae alluded to in your posts.
    The greatest joy for me in LF has been contact printing. No need for an enlarger. Wonderful quality (best possible) super sharp and wonderful tonality. You can use the best paper in the world, Lodima. If I was you I would read the articles on this page, I have gone a long journey, used a lot of money, my search is over, I can now concentrate on the art alone:
    http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/writings_topost.html

New Orleans, LA

+1. Nothing like a well-made contact print from a large negative.

Quote Originally Posted by wiggywag View Post
    The greatest joy for me in LF has been contact printing. No need for an enlarger. Wonderful quality (best possible) super sharp and wonderful tonality. You can use the best paper in the world, Lodima. If I was you I would read the articles on this page, I have gone a long journey, used a lot of money, my search is over, I can now concentrate on the art alone:
    http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/writings_topost.html

The attraction of 11x14 for me would be making contact prints. The detraction for me is the price in $$ and wieght
    There was a gal in my town who developed quite a clientele for her 11x14 platinum print portraits.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

While mistakes that occasionally take place such as light leaks, lens flare or unintentional peripheral objects infringing into the image area are really a drag, there exists in these disappointments a strong incentive to strive for perfection that ensures you bring your best vision and craft to the dance and I feel this makes you a better photographer by sheer necessity. Many times I find the process of go/no go with a possible image is also more carefully scrutinized with the consequences of the weight and getting the 11x14 camera and the necessary complimentary components in play are considered as another camera/tool may be better served. Portraits are one example of this issue. Many times if the light is not immediately flashing green with a potential image I either use a smaller format or move on down the road. I believe that part of the challenge is to recognize that the time I have to make images with a full time job away from photography is highly valued and I want to make the best use of it. Some days the 11x14 does not get out of the case but that is OK with me. I would rather have it available for the possibility that could be just around the corner ready to go than not. I have also taken to carrying around hand held clippers that come in handy if I need to excise a twig or a lone branch from my composition as I have learned to stop down and check every square inch of GG. As long as I am physically capable of lugging my V11 around, it will continue to put a smile on my face when I get behind that GG. Simply marvelous.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    While mistakes that occasionally take place such as light leaks, lens flare or unintentional peripheral objects infringing into the image area are really a drag, there exists in these disappointments a strong incentive to strive for perfection that ensures you bring your best vision and craft to the dance and I feel this makes you a better photographer by sheer necessity. Many times I find the process of go/no go with a possible image is also more carefully scrutinized with the consequences of the weight and getting the 11x14 camera and the necessary complimentary components in play are considered as another camera/tool may be better served. Portraits are one example of this issue. Many times if the light is not immediately flashing green with a potential image I either use a smaller format or move on down the road. I believe that part of the challenge is to recognize that the time I have to make images with a full time job away from photography is highly valued and I want to make the best use of it. Some days the 11x14 does not get out of the case but that is OK with me. I would rather have it available for the possibility that could be just around the corner ready to go than not. I have also taken to carrying around hand held clippers that come in handy if I need to excise a twig or a lone branch from my composition as I have learned to stop down and check every square inch of GG. As long as I am physically capable of lugging my V11 around, it will continue to put a smile on my face when I get behind that GG. Simply marvelous.....
    V11! The Mother of All 'dorfs! I'm jealous!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

It helps to have three guys like this to help carry the 11x14 equipment (they turn 16 in a few days)! But somehow they disappeared when it came time to haul everything back up the hill! Smart kids!

11x14 contact print onto some old paper that I can't remember the name of.

Either a 270mm or 300mm lens...can't remember. I think the camera is a Kodak Empire View...I can never remember.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boys11x14.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LFdilettante View Post
    Hi all,

.... Is 11x14 THAT much better than 8x10 in terms of picture quality for contact prints and /or enlargements? I plan to shoot largely portaits, often in environmental settings e.g. factory/restaurant workers etc.

An additional caveat is in terms of equipment, I am not restricted weight wise or monetarily.

Not very specific at this stage I know, I just wondered about the differences in quality to the naked eye, and whether in 5 yrs 11x14 will be largely gone/superseded

Newbie (to be)
    You ask one question and suppose another:

1st ... Is 11x14 THAT much better than 8x10 for contact print portaits? --- the answer is a lttle quirky ... the quality is virtually indistinguishable ... but the IMPACT ... size-wise ... of an 11x14 portrait on the wall is exponentially greater than an 8x10 portrait.

2d ... Will 11x14 be largely gone/superseded soon? .... Short answer no.

You also say that you have no weight or money issues in your decision to choose between 11x14 and 8x10. If you are sure about that and really understand the differences entailed in all the limitations the larger size imposes on you ..... you'd be crazy to opt for the smaller size ... with the option of using an 8x10 back on your 11x14 camera when you decide it's appropriate to your subject.

I will add this ... for most of us who have become used to using 8x10s and then move up ... we are not just a lttle bit surprised about how much what seems like a little step up constrains our choices and procedues.

If I was enlarging ... rather than doing contact prints ... I'd use 4x5 because of ease of use and much greater options in lenses, film, enlargers, etc.

But ... If I was working in a studio type setting, doing portaits only, 11x14 would be my format of choice.