Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Johsel Namkung: a retrospective - book review

Re: Johsel Namkung: a retrospective - book review

Wonderful!
    Thanks for posting this and making me feel like a Troglodyte!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Well, I just received my copy of Johsel Namkung's book, so for what it is worth, here is my two cents on the book and his work. First the book is very nicely published and and extremely well printed. The paper is a semi matte with varnish on the images. They respond very nicely with this type of printing. Now as to his work and style, I happen to like it very much. He photographs those things that I happen to like, very intimate landscapes. Personally I find his work more compelling than Elliot Porters, but that might not be fair because while I have seen several of Porter's dye transfers, most of his work that I have seen has been through books, and as a rule, those books are not even close to the quality of this book. But I do think there is a compositional and lyrical quality in Johsel's work that I like better than Porters. Just my opinion. When the book arrived today, I paged through it with my wife. Her comment was (you have to love you wife when she says things like this,) "Hey, he photographs like you, similar subjects and even similar looks." Now I am not trying to compare myself to Johsel's work, but I just mention this as to one of the reasons why I do like his work and style. Many of his images are very subtle, yet intriguing. One thing I noticed is that he is not afraid to photograph in more contrasty situations. He always used negative film and obviously knew how to use it and use it well. As a Velvia "user," I would find myself shying away from some images that he photographs. Johsel pulls this off very nicely. I do highly recommend this book, yes it is a bit pricey, but certainly well worth it in my opinion. I think Dick Busher of Cosgrove Publishing did an outstanding job.

Thanks for the review, I hope more people who receive it share additional comments. (That’s interesting about his choice of negative color films.) The production values appear to be without compromise. When I saw Namkung’s nicely presented images on his site in the link above, I was curious how much greater an impact the beautiful book’s presentation might make. I suspect it would be much, much greater, maybe even a different experience.

Johsel Namkung passed away on Monday, 22 July.
    You can read the Seattle Times obituary here: http://seattletimes.com/html/obituar...yndication=rss

A great loss to photography!

It was only through this notice of his passing that I became aware of his wonderful photography and this book.

He will live forever through his work.

Thank you for introducing him to me.

I don't usually respond to large format nature photos but these were special, some of the best ever.

Also a fan of his Norma and #5... makes me feel like a wimp!

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Seattle Times: Fine-art photographer Johsel Namkung dies
    Acclaimed Northwest artist Johsel Namkung died Monday, July 22, 2013. He was known for his large-scale, deeply textured photos of the artistic patterns found in nature.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

R.I.P.

I love that part in The Seattle Times notice about being air-dropped into Alaska w/ his camera gear, and kayaking back out. That was in the 1970’s. But he had already lived two or three lifetimes by the 1950’s.

I agree that it is a beautiful book and it is due in no small part to Dick Busher's very fine attention to the actual publication of Johsel's work. Dick happens to be one of Seattle's finest commercial photographers, and, although I believe he has retired from photography to devote his time to Cosgrove Editions, his photographic experience and well-known reputation for attending to every possible technical detail in his work has uniquely qualified him to produce photographic books such as this. Anyone wishing to produce a book of work would do well to contact Dick at Cosgrove Editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Well, I just received my copy of Johsel Namkung's book, so for what it is worth, here is my two cents on the book and his work. First the book is very nicely published and and extremely well printed. The paper is a semi matte with varnish on the images. They respond very nicely with this type of printing. Now as to his work and style, I happen to like it very much. He photographs those things that I happen to like, very intimate landscapes. Personally I find his work more compelling than Elliot Porters, but that might not be fair because while I have seen several of Porter's dye transfers, most of his work that I have seen has been through books, and as a rule, those books are not even close to the quality of this book. But I do think there is a compositional and lyrical quality in Johsel's work that I like better than Porters. Just my opinion. When the book arrived today, I paged through it with my wife. Her comment was (you have to love you wife when she says things like this,) "Hey, he photographs like you, similar subjects and even similar looks." Now I am not trying to compare myself to Johsel's work, but I just mention this as to one of the reasons why I do like his work and style. Many of his images are very subtle, yet intriguing. One thing I noticed is that he is not afraid to photograph in more contrasty situations. He always used negative film and obviously knew how to use it and use it well. As a Velvia "user," I would find myself shying away from some images that he photographs. Johsel pulls this off very nicely. I do highly recommend this book, yes it is a bit pricey, but certainly well worth it in my opinion. I think Dick Busher of Cosgrove Publishing did an outstanding job.

A life lived well. Thanks for the book.