Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm affraid it won't be long

Re: I'm affraid it won't be long

I'm reporting this thread to the Humane Society....the way you guys are treating these dead horses is appalling...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...79#post1002079

It just keeps being more and more funny every time I watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by John NYC View Post
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...79#post1002079

It just keeps being more and more funny every time I watch it.
    Amazing, first time I've seen that. I'm going to go and watch it again.

Ode on a Flower...
    -Richard Feynman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSZNsIFID28

Bernice

Les

Alrightie, I got the popcorn....

Les

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Thread hijack!

While you guys were yapping, I just got some film back from Praus.

Outside my work kitchen window. I showed this slide to my coworkers. My, what an amazed crowd! You can count the branches on the trees on the skyline, and almost count the stars on the flag. You can see the flag on the Space Needle, can't you? Huh? Huh?
    Toyo 45AX, Nikkor 210, Fuji 64T
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeattleOutWorkKitchen.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	92115

This is from the Lakeview Blvd ramp in Seattle. It comes up from street level, crosses above I5, and goes to Capitol Hill. At this point, it's well over 50ft, maybe 75ft, from ground level. The view is gorgeous.
    The note reads, "My Dear young Fellow may your soul rest in peace Eleen"
    Graflex Super Graphic, Wollensak 135mm Optar, Fuji 64T, with movements
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeattleMyDearYoungFellow.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	92116
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    People don't see excellence, so they don't know that it exists, so they don't strive for it.
    What drove me to digital printing for my color work was utter disappointment with the wet color prints that I had made in the past. I used several highly regarded printers in NYC (including Ciba printers) and was always disappointed with how little the print matched the transparency. With digital printing, I could control the entire process, and I could also end up with a print that matched my vision. Digital printing isn't perfect (nor is any printing process) but for me the prints I can achieve far surpass any other printing process that I have tried. Part of that is the printing technology and part is my ability to optimize the image for printing with Photoshop (I can make a test print, then make local or global changes in hue, saturation, and luminosity and make another print) - the end result is what I want the print to be). What I see in my digital prints is excellence that I had not seen with traditional methods of printing.

If others can achieve that with other printing processes, then I think that is great and I am happy for them. This is what works for me, and what others do will not detract from that.

I shoot 4X5 B&W film. Some of the EXPENSIVE digital high end gear can do wonders provided you know what your are doing. A semi pro friend of mine shoots lots of motorcycle shows-once remarked to me that he shoots 2-3000 images works in post hours in post to find the few he wants to spend 5 hours in post per image for a dramatic image while,his words not mine, you shoot one image at a time and spend 5 hours to get one dramatic image . Comes down to knowing how to get the most out of your gear and process.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Still Developing

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    All it takes is a glance at his setup to make it apparent it was a hokey non-objective test, that essentially tells one nothing
    except that doofey technique is capable of less than ideal results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Per that Tim Parkin thing - you can prove anything with that kind of sloppy handicapping. Maybe both sides of the test were
    half-assed. I don't have time right now to point out all the nonsense. He's got an 8x10 propped up on a twerpy little ballhead
    that can't control shutter vibrations worth a damn. The film was probably sagging in the holder. Poor technique from the word
    go....
    Hi Drew,

Just wanted to point out that for someone who supposedly read the test you didn't know the film was taped and two tripods are used. p.s. that twerpy ball head created resolution beyond the capability of the film to record as tested using Adox CMS20.

I personally think it's particularly cowardly to criticise a test in such insulting words without being able to articulate what it is you are talking about.

So here is a public challenge - you point out and prove why the test was a 'hokey non-objective test' with 'doofey technique' and I'll take on board your comments and retest to show you how wrong you are?

How's that? Personally I think you're all mouth and no trousers but I look forward to being educated otherwise...

Tim Parkin
    Still Developing at http://www.timparkin.co.uk and scanning at http://cheapdrumscanning.com

A full month to the day since the OP (26 pages of replies!) - did you come back from Yosemite? How did it go? Are you in Yosemite? How is it going?
    I hope it all turns out well for you, regardless of what gear you take along. A friend of mine, who often tags along on my photo excursions, uses the iPhone exclusively - beautiful images! I prefer my 4x5; go figure...