Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm affraid it won't be long

Re: I'm affraid it won't be long

I just get annoyed.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Ya, me too. Then someone kicks me in the gut and tells me I'm a bore so I reform... for a short while.

Drew Wiley

I enjoy villifying novelty. Keeps threads like this going long after they deserve to be quiety laid to rest in a pine box (or fluorescent digitally imprinted foil caskets, for those of you who worship techie stuff). Reminds of those flatlander deer hunters who showed up in the woods exactly once a year with their mandatory bottle of bourbon and some shiny expensive
    new rifle. The deer were fairly safe, but they did manage to shoot someoneone's pasture bull, or shoot themselves in the
    foot once in awhile. I do just the opposite, and head out on the trail with a 1960's pack and a Ries tripod. Maybe I'll have time to replace the wooden shaft on my ancient ice axe (though I'd carry fiberglass for any serious glacier travel - there's a
    reason that ole thing broke!). Give me the sounds of owls and coyotes and running water, and leave your stinkin' electronic
    toys at home! Those things should be banned from wilderness areas just like motorcylces, chainsaws, and damned strip malls.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Every technique used by everyone here was new once. Some artists jumped on the new thing, others adopted it slowly, others never did. I see good work being made by members of all groups.

To attach some kind of moral or esthetic superiority to those who shun new techniques ... it's just a historically ignorant form of self indulgence.

Show me an uninteresting flickr picture and I'll show you an unintersting 8x10 contact print. We could go on all day for years. I'd rather look at the good stuff, and being familiar with the old good stuff, I'll spend my time looking for the new good stuff. Regardless of the tool used to make it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	technology_art.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	92071

http://jmcolberg.com/weblog/extended...es/on_process/

Relates to my previous message on simulated tintypes.

Sad commentary on the state of affairs when art is only valued by what we see on a screen via the web. If we really buy into this we would have to give up making real things and just experience them via our monitors.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I enjoy villifying novelty. Keeps threads like this going long after they deserve to be quiety laid to rest in a pine box (or fluorescent digitally imprinted foil caskets, for those of you who worship techie stuff). Reminds of those flatlander deer hunters who showed up in the woods exactly once a year with their mandatory bottle of bourbon and some shiny expensive
    new rifle. The deer were fairly safe, but they did manage to shoot someoneone's pasture bull, or shoot themselves in the
    foot once in awhile. I do just the opposite, and head out on the trail with a 1960's pack and a Ries tripod. Maybe I'll have time to replace the wooden shaft on my ancient ice axe (though I'd carry fiberglass for any serious glacier travel - there's a
    reason that ole thing broke!). Give me the sounds of owls and coyotes and running water, and leave your stinkin' electronic
    toys at home! Those things should be banned from wilderness areas just like motorcylces, chainsaws, and damned strip malls.
    ... so you don't like bourbon???

Drew Wiley

The web is great for family snapshots, and chit-chat, business transactions etc. But I despise it for any kind of serious visual
    communication, and as soon as I even care enough, I'm gonna pull all my own specific images from it, despite having used deliberately dumbed-down the jpegs so nobody would confuse the web content with what a real print is supposed to look like. Maybe some kind of other content. It's an era of increasing visual illiteracy, as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I get annoyed when some new media or technique is villified simply due to its novelty.
    I get annoyed when some new medium or technique is hailed as the be-all and end-all simply due to it's novelty.

3-D movies still suck, too, just like they did in the 50's.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    3-D movies still suck, too, just like they did in the 50's.
    Just wait, the next version/iteration/release will be better (that's the thought process I hate!)

Now get off my lawn!!!

Yawn.