Page 64 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Show Me Your Night Shots!

Re: Show Me Your Night Shots!

Dived in and landed with a nice splash. That's very nice.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by highkrausen View Post
    Just finished my first box of LF film and finally have most of the quirks worked out.

Took this last night at one of my favorite locations. Always wanted to shoot it at night with film, but it seemed too daunting to get the right exposure and not over do the headlight streaks. Since I've almost completely converted over to LF shooting now, I thought why not dive in headfirst.

4x5 Ilford HP5 90mm f.22 25s (metered at 8" adjusted for reciprocity)
    Impressive shot !!!!

Thanks barnacle and Pere. I have been lurking on the forum for some time and learned a lot so appreciate everyone's contribution to making it.

Quote Originally Posted by highkrausen View Post
    Thanks barnacle and Pere. I have been lurking on the forum for some time and learned a lot so appreciate everyone's contribution to making it.
    One thing that I remember now, it looks that reciprocity failure correction needed with HP5+ is lower that manufacturer states:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bond_5_ND_2013.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	157549

So for indicated 8 seconds happens that corrected time may be only 10 seconds.

This can be seen here (Howard Bond ):

http://phototechmag.com/kodak-ilford...te-films-2013/

I was warned of that in this site, some weeks ago. An alternative is to reduce developing time by some 30% if manufacturer's correction time is used. Just pointing that the ideal long exposures for night are not clear and tests should be made. Perhaps this is specially important if optical enlargement is to be done...

Regards,
    Pere

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    One thing that I remember now, it looks that reciprocity failure correction needed with HP5+ is lower that manufacturer states:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bond_5_ND_2013.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	157549

So for indicated 8 seconds happens that corrected time may be only 10 seconds.

This can be seen here (Howard Bond ):

http://phototechmag.com/kodak-ilford...te-films-2013/

I was warned of that in this site, some weeks ago. An alternative is to reduce developing time by some 30% if manufacturer's correction time is used. Just pointing that the ideal long exposures for night are not clear and tests should be made. Perhaps this is specially important if optical enlargement is to be done...

Regards,
    Pere
    Great call out Pere. I realize I mis-wrote this, it was actually 8s calculated at a wider aperture and as I stopped down bracketing it was 15s (or 25s with reciprocity)

The greater point is spot on... experimentation. I had to bracket a bunch of exposures and DOF to get this dialed in. The reciprocity failure curve on the back of the box even says you need to experiment. Too many variables to say with certainty it's one way every time.

1ish min exposure. I got lucky that the guy was welding the whole time, didn't really have any idea how to meter for a scene like this as well. Very happy with how it turned out. I got lucky he was blocking the torch as well, since the other one from this place has a massive flare obscuring a big chunk of the frame. Turns out single coated lenses don't like crazy bright sources of light, go figure.

Welder by Alex C, on Flickr

Nice! Yeah, it's a real guess with photographing welding, glad you got a good shot in!

Quote Originally Posted by Amfooty View Post
    1ish min exposure. I got lucky that the guy was welding the whole time, didn't really have any idea how to meter for a scene like this as well. Very happy with how it turned out. I got lucky he was blocking the torch as well, since the other one from this place has a massive flare obscuring a big chunk of the frame. Turns out single coated lenses don't like crazy bright sources of light, go figure.

Welder by Alex C, on Flickr

Quick and dirty iPhone scan of a night shot overlooking Boston from Cambridge. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Boston Skyline from Cambridge.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	157922

Isn't that reversed?

Looks like it - obviously, a *too quick* iPhone scan. Will cross-post to the Mistakes thread. This time, properly oriented:

Boston Skyline from Cambridge by Brandon Ward, on Flickr
    Last edited by Kerosene Hat; 26-Nov-2016 at 14:43. Reason: Added proper orientation