Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sticking with 8x10 or just holding on to 4x5 format?

Re: Sticking with 8x10 or just holding on to 4x5 format?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    I've gone back and forth with 8x10 - bought a Deardorff, sold the Deardorff, bought another Deardorff, sold another Deardorff. The problem for me is that I find no difference in the technical quality of 8x10 photographs compared to 4x5 at my usual print sizes. But I really enjoy using an 8x10 camera and gear, much more so than any smaller format. So I vacillate between the practical - forget 8x10 - and the pleasure - keep 8x10. For the last several years practical has won out. Sorry that this probably is of no help to you since it likely mirrors what you're going through.
    Been there Brian, I've owned and sold a few 8x10 cameras & 4x5. Practical is important. The time spent worrying about formats could be better spent making photographs

You just need to ask yourself what you want out of a format. If 8x10 doesn't fit that then it has to go. If it does fit that model, you keep it.
    -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by dimento View Post
    Good advice Neil, it brings to mind a photographer in an entirely different league to me, Mary Ellen Mark, who uses the 20x24 polaroid for special projects, and extremely expensive commissions from wealthy portrait clients ($20000 starting point, details here: http://www.maryellenmark.com/text/po...ommisions.html )

I might feel a little different if I wasn't using a studio camera in the field.
    I love her book of 20x24 Polaroids of prom goers. Nice stuff.

As it was already said -I think that the only real benefit of anything larger than 4x5 (Or 5x7) is contact printing alt processes.But even there - you could go away with ink-jet negatives. However, after a brief spell with 4x5 I'm now enjoying my 5x7 but getting ready to answer the call for 18x24cm...
    Website of sorts, as well as flickr thing.

I shoot 4x5 for over 30 years with 4X5 darkroom too. Few years ago I save some money and jump to 8X10 camera and some lenses and holders for a try. After several boxes of film, I feel very expensive. Price increase a lot. Another think is carrying about 50 lbs per outing for the system in my car. Now jump back to light weight 4X5 again can make a light hiking. I still keep my 8X10 system for dust.

If money isn't the main issue, keep the 8x10. If money is an issue, sell it and wait for the day when you can get back into it.

I really see no point in parting with the 10x8 unless you need the cash for something else. Things change. You just might find your desire for 10x8 reignited 6 months from now and then you remember that the cameras gone...

Ari and Kev, sage advice, money unfortunately is always the issue, it's the old catch 22, have camera but will need to invest more in holders, my inclination is to keep half a toe in, i.e., sell the camera but keep holders film and lens and then dip back in when things improve, thanks for your two cents andyway guys

Quote Originally Posted by kev curry View Post
    I really see no point in parting with the 10x8 unless you need the cash for something else. Things change. You just might find your desire for 10x8 reignited 6 months from now and then you remember that the cameras gone...
    Thus I have two 4x5's (field and a press), a 5x7, two 8x10's and an 11x14...

Quote Originally Posted by dimento View Post
    Ari and Kev, sage advice, money unfortunately is always the issue, it's the old catch 22, have camera but will need to invest more in holders, my inclination is to keep half a toe in, i.e., sell the camera but keep holders film and lens and then dip back in when things improve, thanks for your two cents andyway guys
    Sounds like the prudent thing to do.