Thread: 240/9 G-Claron as enlarging lens?

240/9 G-Claron as enlarging lens?

I am aware that the 240/9 G-Claron is a process lens that some have used with success as a taking lens.

I have been made aware of the availability of this lens locally. The individual selling it, has advertised it as an enlarging lens.
    My interest is to get a better lens than I currently have to do 5x7 enlargements on my Elwood. Can anyone tell me if this
    lens can also be used as an enlarging lens, and in particular would it work on an Elwood. One of my reasons for skepticsm is because I have only seen enlarging lenses which are mounted on one side (ie the front) of the lensboard and this lens is like an LF taking lens, with both front and rear cells.

also what is a reasonable price for this lens (without shutter).

thanks
    you can find my images on flickr at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/feberdt/sets/

Re: 240/9 G-Claron as enlarging lens?

If it has a front and rear cell, then you need to have it spaced properly, or it won't work properly.
    Either use the shutter but keep the shutter open on T, or you need to get a spacer made.

The concern has been raised on other places that the heat from the blub may overheat a lens that was not designed to be subject to heating. The specific concern was that the glue cementing the elements together may start to fail with heat. I do not know how valid that concern is.

Finally, can your enlarger mount a lens that projects back that much?

Drew Wiley

Optically it works fairly well for enlarging. I wouldn't worry about the heat unless you were running some huge color mural
    enlarger, which you're not. Better than some older enlarging lenses, not as good as some of the newer ones at typical
    magnification ratios. Slow of course, which might present some problems with focus and exposure length. If you're worried about back projection you could simply attach a lens cone. But 240 (at infinity!) is a fair amt of focal length to begin with on a bellows, so I can't imagine that being an issue unless there is something funny about your enlarger I can't personally envision. True enlarging lenses are so cheap right now that I don't follow the rationale. You might pay less for one than
    machining a custom board for the G-Claron.

Photographer

I have "housings" for two of the G Clarons I have (which I use in shutters). Ialways thought the housings came with the lenses so they could be used as enlarging lenses, but I've never done so.

I do have a 240 Rodagon for sale here on the forum if you are interested:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...Enlarging-Lens
    Keith Pitman

I use a 240mm Companon on Elwood. It works well for 5x7 enlargements from 8x10 to 11x 14. Any smaller an the focus rail and bellows are too short. Any larger an I'm hitting the ceiling with the enlarger head! You may have to mount your enlarger horizontally for larger prints.
    ...Dilettante! Who you calling a Dilettante?

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    True enlarging lenses are so cheap right now ...
    What he said.

Guilherme Maranhão coisasdavida's Avatar

I use a 150mm G-Claron to enlarge 5x7" negatives on an Elwood 5x7" enlarger. It is a great combo. Not so sure the bellows would handle a 240mm easily, if we are talking about the same enlarger. AFAIK G-Clarons and Repromasters make great enlarging lenses.