Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 camera and 6x17 film back

Re: 4x5 camera and 6x17 film back

The Deardorf Special, a 4x5/5x7 camera, is an option. I have used one for both 4x5 and 5x7, and liked it. I do not know enough about 6x17 backs to know how adaptable they are to the Deardorf.

Vaughn
    The way I see it this is just a regular 5x7 camera with reducing back for 4x5, right?

Joseph Dickerson
    So if I got it right, even though I can use 90-180(cca), I will still be limited buy the movements, even within this range. If that is right, I am limiting my self quite a lot.

The more I think, more I am leaning toward 5x7 cameras with 4x5 back. In that case I could use both 4x5 and 617 format in full range without any limitations. Damn this is hard.

Guess my optimum camera would be 4inch x 17 cm, or 4x7 inch, to cover it all. How come nobody thought of that format, it would be ideal for me.

Vaughn
    The way I see it this is just a regular 5x7 camera with reducing back for 4x5, right?

Joseph Dickerson
    So if I got it right, even though I can use 90-180(cca), I will still be limited buy the movements, even within this range. If that is right, I am limiting my self quite a lot.

The more I think, more I am leaning toward 5x7 cameras with 4x5 back. In that case I could use both 4x5 and 617 format in full range without any limitations. Damn this is hard.

Guess my optimum camera would be 4inch x 17 cm, or 4x7 inch, to cover it all. How come nobody thought of that format, it would be ideal for me.

If you want to use a 90mm with a 6x17 back youve got to choose the camera carefully. Most field cameras of a traditonal design won't close down the bellows close enough to get infinity let alone any movelemnts, when you've taken into account the 6x17 back extnds the film plane about 40-45mm behind the camera. So you really need a camera with a minimum bellows extension of 45mm or less, assuming you don't want to use a recessed panel (they are a pain).

Any of the chamonix 4x5 models will work, or a walker XL, ebony RSW or SW, shenhao TFC, something like that.

Anyone know if a 617 back will work ok with a Technika?
    i have 75, 90 on recessed boards, 150, 240, 360 lenses.
    Clive
    www.clive-evans.com
    West Cork-Ireland, Antibes-France

jadphoto

Igore,

Your movements will be limited if you use a standard bellows, I think a bag bellows will solve the problem. However, I have not tested this combination yet so I don't know for sure if the recessed ground glass (and film back) will vignette with the bag bellows, I'll check it later today and let you know.

It's something I want to know too.

Addendum:

Just took the camera out in the drive way and the bag bellows works great. Still pretty much limited to 90-180mm (didn't try the 210) but there is no vignetting due to the recessed ground glass that I could detect. The bag bellows (Sinar) is plenty long enough to focus with the 180, and allows plenty of movements even with the 90 so I think it's the way to go.

I'm not sure on the length of the Shen Hao or Chamonix bag bellows but I imagine they would be adequately long to focus a 180 (or 150) reasonably close if you wind up going that way.

JD

Lachlan 717

I shoot 72-360mm on my Shen Hao 617. No bag needed, not recessed boards.

IMO, you massively compromise the panoramic format if you try to make a 4x5 a "Jack-of-all-trades" camera. Like using a screwdriver as a chisel - it'll kinda work, but why would you if you can use a chisel?

YMMV.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

This is just my experience, and there are of course many ways to skin a cat, but the best LF camera investment I ever made was probably buying an old Arca-Swiss 5x7 for $500. It had a 4x5" reduction back, so I bought and modified a cheap 5x7 Plaubel back for it and then also made a 6x17 adapter for my Canham 617 back. Far more flexible than a tarted-up 4x5. I use 75 to 450mm lenses with it. the only lens on a recessed board is the 75mm, as the camera came with pleaded leather W/A bellows already. A joy to use in any format and pretty cheap. Finding one of these cameras is another matter though
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

kevingm

But I believe that you need to add the 6x17 back for the Shenhao. The Ebony comes with the Horseman 6x17 back, which no doubt adds greatly to the cost of the Ebony. Badger Graphics lists the Ebony for under $9,000, and the Horseman back for over $3,000. I understand that there are far less expensive 6x17 backs available, so it should be possible to get the Shenhao and one of the cheaper backs for under $3,000.

Check with Canham to confirm, but this camera: http://www.canhamcameras.com/4x5and5x7.htm is both a 4x5 and 5x7 camera, so should work with their 6x17 back: http://www.canhamcameras.com/Roll%20film%20back.html

The camera is $3100 in 4x5 form and $3200 in 5x7 form from Badger Graphic and the back is $1350. That will get you 4x5 and 6x17 (and the option for 5x7 later for $570).
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/