Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting black and white landscapes

Shooting black and white landscapes

Is there any film that you would recommend for this specific type of shooting?

Re: Shooting black and white landscapes

Any panchromatic, or even an infra-red BW film will be fine. Are you new to film... especially large format film?

It all depends on the look and feel you are striving for.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

All film works. My favorite is Ilford Delta 100 in Xtol 1:1. What kind of images do you want to make?

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Any panchromatic, or even an infra-red BW film will be fine. Are you new to film... especially large format film?
    I have only been shooting film for a couple of years, now - if that.
    So, yes - I would say that I'm still new. And I have just started shooting large format, within the past year.

Currently, I have only used Ilford HP5+, 400 speed, for black and white. And for colour, I have used the Portra 400. I don't have the money that large format requires, but my heart has been stolen. So, I'm really just looking to see from more experienced large format shooters if there is a film that you swear by and for what reasons, so I can be more informed in my purchasing of film in the future?

I loved Polaroid Type 55 for b/w landscapes in flat light where the finest detail was important.

Now the film is gone.

How I miss thee, and await thy resurrection. ;^(

-----
    Meantime, T-Max 100 (in T-Max rs) helps me through the pain of loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    All film works. My favorite is Ilford Delta 100 in Xtol 1:1. What kind of images do you want to make?

Lenny
    Right now, I'm on a landscape shooting binge. The most important thing I'm looking for - of course - is clarity and a nice tonal range. While I am sure that these things have a lot to do with the photographer's skill and technique, are there any films that do above average in these areas?

What are the things that make you choose the film you shoot with as your favourite?

How you plan on printing is a factor that would be nice to know. Contact printing, scanning the neg, alt (non-silver) printing, degree of enlargement, etc.

Clarity would be more of a factor of optics (as in sharpness), rather than film, though one might confuse clarity with contrast...and any fogging of the film would reduce "clarity" I suppose.

I tend to shy away from HP5 because it does not expand as readily in contrast as FP4, but it is otherwise a fine film. I normally use non-silver processes (carbon or platinum printing), so my requirements for film and developer are much different than someone making silver gelatin enlargements. FP4+ in paper developer works wonders for me, but I would not recommend that combo for enlargements or scanning.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzypantz View Post
    ...I'm really just looking to see from more experienced large format shooters if there is a film that you swear by ...
    TMY, aka 400Tmax. Best film ever made. And almost certainly the last chapter in the history of B&W film. It has it all, from fine grade to excellent tonality.

Use it while you can get it. When Kodak finally throws in the towel, it's like won't be seen again.

Bruce Watson

Tmax400 has the clarity and tonal range to suit all of my needs. It's what I swear by. It's versatile in a variety of developers, can handle a huge brightness range, fast and fine grained, but doens't have a "fast film look". Never had a bad sheet or roll of the stuff. Ever. Some people moan about the price, some people about it's requirement for consistent developing.