Thread: Photo Trekker users...need your help.

Photo Trekker users...need your help.

I received my Lowepro Photo trekker AwII today and I love it! Seems very well made.

I loaded it with all my gear but the harness has me confused. Following the instructions and ajusting all the straps the top of the bag sits between my shoulder blades. It places almost all of the load on my legs but is it supposed to sit this low on my back? The bag is very comfortable in this position but I think menuvering may be limited. If the shoulder straps are tightened so to raise the pack it shifts the load to my shoulders and off of my hips. I'm 5'11"

Im confused on where the shoulder straps should sit. Using the "pack jack" I have the straps about 2 inches above the back pad. How does yours fit?

Can't speak for the Lowepro specifically, but the general principle of any backpack is that you take the bulk of the weight on your hips: the shoulder straps are mainly there to stop the pack falling backwards... That way, you do not have to support too much weight with your spine. If you are used to the idea of carrying a lightweight pack on your shoulders, carrying the weight low down feels odd at first but you soon get used to it - and it helps to keep your centre of balance low too.

Cheers,

I have 2 Lowepro Trekker's (Photo Aw and Pro) and Bob is correct. You want that weight on your "hips" and not on your shoulders. The pack will "lean back" some and look funny if you look at yourself sideways in a mirror, but you will find this to be the best way to carry the load. It keeps your center of gravity a little lower and prevents shoulder fatigue. Just try with a real load and you will soon understand.

I agree with everyone. My Photo Trekker AW rides on my hips. My tripod rides on my shoulder.....

Same principle applies when I am backpacking, I try and get as much weight off my shoulders as I can and still have the pack snug to my back.

steve
    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

The top of the hip belt should be the same height as your ilium. Then adjust the back length to suit your height. You should have the harness about 3 - 5 cm's(where it joins the pack) below the top of your shoulders (where the harness is).

I always put the pack on, get the hip belt on in the right place (you should be able to feel your ilium with your hands - the hard bit of bone that is the top of your pelvius). Then adjust the shoulder straps with the straps off the shoulder straps un done. Now the sternum strap. Then adjust the extra straps (off the shoulder to the pack - these stop the pack swinging around wildly & take weight off the shoulder straps), then loosen the shoulder straps a cm or two.

You should be able to get the pack set up so that you can adjust where you have the weight. They say 70 - 80% on your hips - but I find I can't do this all day, so I change it regularly - sometimes on my hips - sometimes on the shoulders. For a digaramatic look at fitting backbacks - or a good outdoor store will show you how.

Len Metcalf

Leonard Murray Metcalf BA Dip Ed MEd

Len's gallery lenmetcalf.com

Lens School

Lens Journal