Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with old failed prints?

Re: What do you do with old failed prints?

Huh? oh, Spammit anyways!

Born L.A.-NYC is 2nd Home-Rustbelt is Home Base

I also use junk prints for cleaning out the printer feed rollers or head align and cleaning etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisleyon View Post
    Used to thrown at trash . Well Click here to read about Less paper in three steps. I am working for PrntingBlue.com (Leading Online Printing Services Company in USA), where we produced thousands of daily prints for different products likes stickers printing, folder printing, business cards and many more products. We used to follow above shared article to reduce wastage and paper with well organized way.
    Not Interested...go buy an ad.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    We did that with prints in the darkroom at the paper I used to work at. There were about a hundred of them including lots of celebs like Andy Warhol, Goldie Hawn and Hunter S. Thompson not to mention the company bong that lived below the ventilation duct that had a label on it that said "Property of The XXXXX Times"....:-)

That was back in the day...in 1998....
    got a pix of it?

Quote Originally Posted by chrisleyon View Post
    Used to thrown at trash . Well Click here to read about Less paper in three steps. I am working for PrntingBlue.com (Leading Online Printing Services Company in USA), where we produced thousands of daily prints for different products likes stickers printing, folder printing, business cards and many more products. We used to follow above shared article to reduce wastage and paper with well organized way.
    Tell you what. We'll all save all our bad prints, offcuts, test strips, etc. and ship them to you. Then you can take advantage of the neato tricks you're spamming this forum about. OK?

Post scriptum - Please learn to type English.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Toss, because I don't wash them. Don't want hypo-soaked garbage around.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Fleming View Post
    Aren't we, as photographic artists, supposed to respond to the question (based on what I've seen in photo magazines over several decades) by saying something on the lines of: "Because I always fully visualize the final print, and also have total control over every step and variable in the creative process leading to that print, I never have a failed print."

It would be so nice to be able to honestly make such a statement, but I cannot. Right beside the end of the sink, near the fixer, is a trash can lined with a plastic bag. Some failures go into it right out of the fixer, some after drying, and some when I take a hard look at them accept the reality they stink. But I try to learn from each of them--but sometimes I am a slow learner.

Keith
    My contribution to photographic theory is to employ Darwin's theory of natural selection. Many images attract my eye, some keep my interest long enough to be committed to film. All film is developed and proofed. Some proofs continue to interest me enough to work toward a finished print. Some fall apart along the way, others live on. Some of those survive to actually become a finished print. Some of those end up being matted, framed, and offered for sale.

Moab Entrada paper can be printed on both sides. I save the prints I don't like and use the other side for proofs.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

mostly toss, but some get used for testing other new techniques involved in print finishing. For example, right now, I should use some for spotting practice. Other tests are toning, flattening in the drymount press, drying techniques, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I rip them up and put them in a bucket of water until the emulsion dissolves. The paper is then dried and put in the recycle bin. I haven't done this for quite a while so the water in the bucket has completely evaporated leaving a black film on the inner sides of the bucket....
    Does soaking silver gelatin prints dissolve the emulsion? Like everyone here, the rejects go into the darkroom garbage bin, but ultimately I have a collection of both garbage binned prints that never made it out of the darkroom, plus "finished prints" which I rejected prior to toning and mounting. Since my township recycles paper (and I try to recycle as much "stuff" as possible), how do I get to the next step? Can dried prints simply go into the recycled paper stream, or is it necessary to get rid of the emulsion first? If soaking doesn't do it, how else can one remove the emulsion (if that is a necessary step)? Since I've been reluctant to recycle the prints, I have a nice collection waiting to go out...