Page 55 of 211 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105155 ... LastLast

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Paschke View Post
    actually Im getting ready to try something right this minute that might help me to like sun
    do tell

sort of both, the one of the women on the bike is accurate, in total shade and one extra drop of iodine, the one next too her was also accurate, full sun and a 15 degrees warmer , 1 drop less iodine. The one of the guy and the next brownish ones I changed because I am going to print them a poster for his shop and wondered if he liked those colors or the actual plate colors better since I have mixes that actually make those color of prints and we will be taking more on a shady day, but more so for the poster
    I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "one drop more/less iodine..." The only thing I've every heard of iodine being used for is to rush the seasoning period for a new batch of collodion. Are you trying to compare more or less iodized, amber to red, collodion, and equate that to any change in plate tones?

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out what you mean by "one drop more/less iodine..." The only thing I've every heard of iodine being used for is to rush the seasoning period for a new batch of collodion. Are you trying to compare more or less iodized, amber to red, collodion, and equate that to any change in plate tones?
    Yep thats my understanding to, you're basically trying to shoot for the contrast of month old collodion, now using B&S Workhorse the directions state 3-4 drop per 100 ml and I add 2 to my 65ml but that day I was adding a drop to every plate to see the effects if any. So I was taking out an 8x10s worth of collodion and adding a drop of iodine just to see the effects

I just threw these up against the wall and snapped a picture, one has more iodine in less collodion and these were the fourth/fifth plates of a 65ml mix so by the fifth pour it had 4 extra drops in the last plate than the original 65ml mix, I see a difference in these two which was 1 drop difference, exact same exposure, exact same spot 15 minutes apart, the crappy iPhone shot with all the reflections and such isn't a great determination of accuracy but the extra drop definitely appeared to add iodine colored tones and contrast as I look at them side by side

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0564.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	101348

Also interesting is I was wearing a rust colored shirt and you can clearly see my reflection and it appears darker purple on the additional drop picture which is the girl. I have the pictures squared up and flat against the wall, the reflection is my 27" iMac on this forum replying

All I know is, I hate sun mixed with wet plate......got my first taste of having no option but to shoot in it and 1 second is too much

Attachment 101197Attachment 101198Attachment 101199Attachment 101200
    Ok I wasn't, exactly perfect by one drop when originally describing the process the first time. The first plate was the pair of them/full sun, 2 drops Iodine in original 65 ml....this plate is the second one over and silver, pretty darn accurate, next shot was obviously the other pair at the end which I purposely changed to ask this couple if they like that tone better because I can create this color in a pour if they like that look, it had an additional drop of iodine, the solo one of the guy I also adjusted for them to see I can also produce this color if they prefer it to the bright silver, it now has 3 extra drops in 3 plates less collodion, and finally the girl had four drops in less which you see in the post above

The development time has a lot more to do with tone than how iodized the collodion is. What you are seeing is just a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    The development time has a lot more to do with tone than how iodized the collodion is. What you are seeing is just a fluke.
    Perfect, I'm going to track down the fluke in the same manner and see if the number of drops of iodine effect my flukes more often because the flukes were very nice

Be sure to track the day's UV light amount, haze or cloud cover, age of collodion, recipe/salt types used, acidity of silver bath, age of developer, type of developer, and length it stays on. Among other factors that effect tone.

But adjusting drops of iodine? Never heard of it, (other than kick-starting the iodizing process if you don't want to wait for the collodion to ripen). Collodion ripeness affects sensitivity and contrast. This is a process that was done by thousands of photographers in every town in America for generations. It's all been investigated and written up before, for over a hundred years.

Still life 1 di Filippo Natali, su Flickr

18x24cm tintype
    Tachihara 8x10 - Derogy Petzval 230mm F/4
    New Guy Collodion - Ferrous sulphate positive developer with sugar
    Filippo

Nice still life!