Page 29 of 211 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Re: Collodion - Wet Plate Images

Thanks very much. It means a lot coming from you.

Randy,

That was a really impressive print. Makes me wonder about the girl. She might have living relatives somewhere.

-DP

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    Made an albumen print from a negative glass plate taken in the early 1900’s of a little girl wearing a white bonnet. Impressive plate – background separation from the little girl is quite good. The vignette looks to be in camera.

I’m curious as to how they can get good light; perhaps those flash powder put out a lot of UV. The mottled background is due to plate deterioration exacerbated by my poor coating method.

The wife thinks it’s eerie, I think she watches too much “Haunted Collector”. So far I find it fascinating to get a glass negative that’s over 100 years old, print it the way it would have been printed back then and still get this detail today.

Here's another attempt from today.
    3.25x4.25 with a petzval lens.
    B/S kit.
    5 second exposure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0001-Edit.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	45.7 KB 
ID:	96440

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	226725_591728564193714_74203649_n.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	96451

From my latest session.
    5x7

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Has any one made collodion from scratch
    And knows if there is a difference between 1/4 second and 1/2 second nitrocellulose?
    Thanks
    A
    through a glass darkly...

Just when I thought I was done with digital.

Chamonix 8x10
    300mm
    OWH
    Rapid fix

What is that weird thing in the image, and those strange markings?
    Tin Can

I have a question about artificial lighting and collodion.

I've been experimenting with using studio strobes with collodion and have gotten nice results but even with non UV coated tubes it requires up to 40 flashed to make an exposure. I'm wanting to go to a bank of CFL's. I understand the color temp needs to be in the 6K region and the more the better.

Here's the question, I'm looking at a Savage light that has 24 lights 24 watts each. The lights included are 5K so I need to replace them and may be able to get a slightly higher wattage bulb that would fit the bank. I also would purchase a 12 bulb Savage bank as well. Do any of you have experience with the Savage and is this enough light for a portrait at a reasonable exposure. I would be shooting with a Darlot 13" ~f4.2 lens and using Bostic and Sullivans old work horse collodion.

Any suggestions or experiences with CFL lighting. Interfit has some attractive lights as well.

Thanks!

I use for my general lighting and my model mirror, 8K 4 foot tubes from Menards. Nice light! Also check Grainger for a lot of info on lighting and they sell many types.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    I have a question about artificial lighting and collodion.

I've been experimenting with using studio strobes with collodion and have gotten nice results but even with non UV coated tubes it requires up to 40 flashed to make an exposure. I'm wanting to go to a bank of CFL's. I understand the color temp needs to be in the 6K region and the more the better.

Here's the question, I'm looking at a Savage light that has 24 lights 24 watts each. The lights included are 5K so I need to replace them and may be able to get a slightly higher wattage bulb that would fit the bank. I also would purchase a 12 bulb Savage bank as well. Do any of you have experience with the Savage and is this enough light for a portrait at a reasonable exposure. I would be shooting with a Darlot 13" ~f4.2 lens and using Bostic and Sullivans old work horse collodion.

Any suggestions or experiences with CFL lighting. Interfit has some attractive lights as well.

Thanks!
    Tin Can

How many tubes are you using at what distance? What collodion formula and speed of your lens and exposure times?

Thanks