Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: favorite enlarger timer?

Re: favorite enlarger timer?

EvH, you got me thinking, it would be fun to get an old Time-O-Lite.
    You really don't need 1/10 sec precision when you are exposing for 15-20 seconds.
    And those old things are durable.

For printing I have GraLab timers; 505 & 525. I bought them used on Ebay for very little. Why 2? I like to have a back-up and good used equipment for darkrooms are very inexpensive. Some sellers will list at $150.00 and others will start their auction for $9.00 and eventually sell for under $25.00. The 505 & 525 are digital display and beep every second; great for burning and dodging. I can calculate a "dry down" factor and set the new time since the digital timers will program in 0.1 increments. My old mechanical Time-O-Lite had reproducibility problems and was not as easy to use when dodging the initial exposure; no beep.

Paul

After using numerous timers, analog, solid-state and Digital, I finally settled on a Beseler Enlarging Timer . . . http://www.adorama.com/BEART.html

Of course I got mine for several dollars at an estate sale. I like it because it is audible, and I can set the timer values in complete darkness. I simply count the clicks of the switches.
    The same old dog, just a different collar.

I really like the Zone VI compensating developing and enlarging timers. I have two extra sensors that I've installed in a D2V condenser head and a Beseler 45s color head.

I use the 45s for black and white printing. While intended for B&W, I haven't used the D2V for years.

I use a Gralab for stops and fixes.

StopClock Professional by RH Designs. Great timer, great build quality, great support, second to none. Currently rethinking the need and efficacy of a timer in favour of a ticking metronome for easier intuitve printing.

For enlarging any of the decade style timers - the ones with a separate rotary knob for 10,1 & 1/10 second increments. Seems to make it easier to keep track of percent changes when printing multiple burn and dodge exposures. For processing I use an old GreyLab 300 as it is what I have.
    Every once in a while I forget to shut it off and the buzzer shocks me into the here and now!

Nocon F-stop timer. lovely piece of kit which was easy to use. Took me an age to find one after I sold the first when I turned to Digital. Now I am returning to the darkroom.

I use the RH Designs StopClock Pro as well. Easy to use and has all of the features I need.

Quote Originally Posted by Trigeek View Post
    I use the RH Designs StopClock Pro as well. Easy to use and has all of the features I need.
    Agreed, just ordered a second one as I will soon use the Vario for my mural enlarger. Some news of late, Richard Ross is retiring so the building of the units is going to a company called SDS and the prices are headed up:

http://www.rhdesigns.co.uk/darkroom/index.html

Aside from the two stop clocks, I have the ProcessMaster-II, Zonemaster-II and paper flasher.

Out of Plumb

I use a Gralab 525. I got some of the glow in the dark paint and marked it up for easy use. I'd like one from RH Designs, but alais, money and wife do not agree.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 049.jpg  
    Paul Ward

First real camera: Nikon F2, gift from gandfather (1980), still have and use it.
    Wista m45 4x5
    Calumet Green Monster
    Agfa 8x10 Field Camera

“A big negative is really a positive…”