Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First fluid mounted scan w Epson 750

First fluid mounted scan w Epson 750

I finally got fed up with trying to get 120 film to mount in the Epson holders, so I got some of the Kami fluid and gave it a shot using the Epson wet mounting unit.

Worked like a charm. I'll give it a try tomorrow with a 5 x 7 and see how it goes.

Mamiya RB ProSD with 140mm macro lens and a #1 extension tube, Provia (Sorry for the miniature format but the first wet mounting try worked so well I had to report.)

However, regardless of format I think it gives a good idea of what the 750 can do.

Barrel Printed 3 3 13 by Kirigakuresaizoh, on Flickr

O heck, one more while I'm at it. This one was focus stacked

Focus Stacked Printable by Kirigakuresaizoh, on Flickr
    Last edited by Jim Andrada; 4-Mar-2013 at 00:11.

Re: First fluid mounted scan w Epson 750

Thanks for posting - I'm going to have to give this a try. The Epson holders for 120 film are fairly awful in terms of film flatness.

It turns out that IF you can somehow against all odds get the film flat, the sharpness is pretty good. But any curvature in the film makes it a nightmare. The wet mounting process is quicker. I might try the Better Scanning unit, but so far the scans with the Epson are pretty good. Maybe I have the only scanner that focuses where Epson thinks it does!!!

Hmm do you have any experience with the betterscanning holders?

I've never done wet mount but I've FINALLY gotten what I think is the perfect scanning height and always good flatness with the betterscanning holders but wondered if you might know if the wet mount is worth any additional increase in detail.

I've also been able to figure out a good height for the other OEM Epson holders (which for my version is no feet at all).

So I'm fairly happy now, but I still would consider more effort if the wet mount were THAT MUCH better.

Thanks.

I have a betterscanning set but haven't gotten around to using it for some reason. Not sure wet mounting would give better sharpness, but I think it would eliminate a lot of dust/ scratch/ etc issues. Now that I've started down this road I plan to try out quite a number of things. Biggest problem i face is that my real job has me on the road 30% to 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    I have a betterscanning set but haven't gotten around to using it for some reason. Not sure wet mounting would give better sharpness, but I think it would eliminate a lot of dust/ scratch/ etc issues. Now that I've started down this road I plan to try out quite a number of things. Biggest problem i face is that my real job has me on the road 30% to 50% of the time.
    Good, so bring lots of film!

Actually I GET lots of film when I go to Japan. Fuji still makes stuff they don't import to the US any more.

You will find that you get almost zero dust marks or scratches in the scan when you "wet-gate" scan like that!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Going from Epson Holder to BSH dry and then to BSH Wet, I got continued improvement, with the "wet" stepup giving better (apparent) micro-contrast.
    "...with the grandeur of true simplicity", Patrick White, "The Tree of Man".

Next step will be to dig out the BSH holder and try it, but so far I've been pretty impressed with the results using the Epson wet mount kit. I also noticed a lack of dust and scratches etc compared to dry mounting.

I think having the fluid filling any space between film and glass would help with contrast by eliminating reflections at the film/air interface.

The Aztek kit I got included a couple of sample scans and the sharpest was with the film wet mounted directly to the scanner glass (which Epson clearly warns against doing)