Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Finished Walnut and Rosewood 8x10

Re: Finished Walnut and Rosewood 8x10

Nice job Jim. Put it to use!

That's a really handsome camera, Jim. The only thing I would have done differently is to inlay a brass plate around all the places where there's a sliding type movement with a lock knob, like for the front swing/shift. That would keep it from getting too worn as time goes by. What's it weigh?
    -Chris

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Wow, Jim. That is one sweet setup, bro.

...I'd like to place my order now...

~Mark
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by C. D. Keth View Post
    That's a really handsome camera, Jim. The only thing I would have done differently is to inlay a brass plate around all the places where there's a sliding type movement with a lock knob, like for the front swing/shift. That would keep it from getting too worn as time goes by. What's it weigh?
    Chris, I have a stainless steel tube that is inside of all of the slots so that it slides nice and stays firm and in place. I would like to be able to machine some thin stainless to go over the front base at the top and the front standard arms on the outside but alas I only have my trusty dremel. I would make the base thinner next time as I feel it is to thick. The camera weights just at 10 lbs.

Mark, I have to test it out first. I'm not in the business of making cameras to sell but who the hell knows what the future brings. If I had a shop and some real tools who knows. i do have a 16x20 bellows that i will pick up at some point so who knows what is next. i do want to get back to shooting and my carbon printing though.

Well, done, Jim. What great satisfaction you must get from a camera you have made yourself.

My compliments.

Best,

George

Ever learning, ever growing. Mark Carstens's Avatar

Hey, Jim,

I was half-kidding; you're efforts are best spent, in my view, making more art.

It just so happens you were working in a different medium this time.

~Mark
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." ~ Samuel Beckett

Very, very nice.

The only thing I would have done differently is to inlay a brass plate around all the places where there's a sliding type movement with a lock knob, like for the front swing/shift. That would keep it from getting too worn as time goes by.
    Yes, I thought this too as soon as I went through the shots - even though the wood is very hard.
    The only idea I could come up with that doesn't reduce restrict movements - would not detract from its appearance - would be some kind of thin compressable material stuck on under the washers. Washers never sit perfectly on planed wood surfaces and there will an edge that makes marks, eventually.

Beautiful camera, Jim. Great job!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

As i use the camera I'll make adjustments. I always do. I think that the stainless tubing in the slots will help. We shall see!

Victory is sweet. ..and now for that gelatin.