Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photographing roadkill

Re: Photographing roadkill

Why did the possum cross the road?
    .....Nobody knows, because the never seem to make it all the way across.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by gleaf View Post
    Culinary rule...
    If the smell's too strong
    It's been dead too long....
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Clint Eastwood - Josey Wales 1976

Large Format Rocks ImSoNegative's Avatar

I was camping with some guys many years ago and a couple of them left and went to the store, when they came back they had a case of beer and a dead rabbit. Why I asked I don't know, "where did you get that?" the one guy responded "we hit it on the way to the store" another dumb question by me "what are you going to do with it?" the other guy said "we are going to eat it" and they did. I didn't try it, not sure why, I mean you could not tell it was hit by a car, if they said they shot it, I would have probably had some but there was just something about being road kill that just didn't set right with me. they said it was really good. hmmm
    "WOW! Now thats a big camera. By the way, how many megapixels is that thing?"

multiplex

in addition to morgue photography, i believe jeffrey silverthorne photographed roadkill.
    as a student he came to our class and gave a lecture and passed around prints, they were
    some of the most disturbing and beautiful photographs i have ever seen.

I like them. Not all subject matter must be pretty. In a that sense they are akin to work like Burtynsky's-beautiful images of ugly landscapes. They harken back to still life paintings from the 19th century. In those days you had to shoot them for your picture instead of collect them along side the road, but I like the flavor.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Yum, Yum. Sign of the times: People are lining up to eat road kill in Montana. State is issuing permits!

from the Montana Standard:

"State wildlife officials said they weren't sure how much interest there would be in salvaging road-killed animals for food, but with 11 permits issued in the first two days they were available, clearly the interest is there.

Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesman Ron Aasheim tells the Missoulian three permits were requested for animals killed in Flathead County, with one each issued in Missoula, Broadwater, Jefferson, Madison, Powell and Lewis and Clark counties. Two elk, one mule deer and eight whitetail deer were claimed between Monday night and mid-day Wednesday."

Quote Originally Posted by jloen View Post
    Yum, Yum. Sign of the times: People are lining up to eat road kill in Montana. State is issuing permits!

from the Montana Standard:

"State wildlife officials said they weren't sure how much interest there would be in salvaging road-killed animals for food, but with 11 permits issued in the first two days they were available, clearly the interest is

Fish, Wildlife and Parks spokesman Ron Aasheim tells the Missoulian three permits were requested for animals killed in Flathead County, with one each issued in Missoula, Broadwater, Jefferson, Madison, Powell and Lewis and Clark counties. Two elk, one mule deer and eight whitetail deer were claimed between Monday night and mid-day Wednesday."

Used to be, people swerved to avoid hitting animals, now it's a method of year round hunting.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

You'll need speakers on this one.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaN7xuAIjXI

As serious subject matter, I think roadkill is really weak. Now if you find a skeleton in the woods laid out just as it died, then there is a story there. It may be though that many people are less used to seeing dead animals or any animals at all, so it piques interest. As a rural youth, I saw things dead in all manner of ways and roadkill seems the least interesting. I do have a collection of macabre items such as a petrified squirrel that I found in the attic which would make a great shot. maybe some dried flowers, rotten fruit and a dried squirrel as a still life?

Drew Wiley

Where are all the pictures of the splattered, flattened large format photographers who set up their shots too close to the road?