Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Schneider reduces available LF lenses?

Re: Schneider reduces available LF lenses?

Also on February 22 Bob Salomon reported (under "Affordable less desirable alternative to Aero Ektar, does it exist?") that the 35, 45 and 55 mm Rodenstock Apo Grandagons were just discontinued. He also commented on February 17 under "Old Style Linhof Quicksocket Question" that Copal announced last year that they will stop making shutters. It's not clear to me if this has happened yet. In any case it seems to me this will really have a negative impact on the production of new large format lenses.
    David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 27-Feb-2013 at 19:15. Reason: some re-wording

If Copal stops shutter production, this WILL be the end of LF lens production in my opinion. Aren't they the last existing manufacturer of LF shutters? This could explain why Schneider discontinues the special lenses first. This way they could keep the production up for the more common ones a little longer.
    c&c always welcome!

"The world just does not fit conveniently into the format of a 35mm camera." (W. Eugene Smith)

http://peter-yeti.jimdo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Yeti View Post
    If Copal stops shutter production, this WILL be the end of LF lens production in my opinion. Aren't they the last existing manufacturer of LF shutters?
    DHW make the Rollei electronic shutter in size 0 and 1 (which need a external controller device), and also presented a USB (PC/tablet/smartphone) controlled size 0 version at the last Photokina. I doubt that anybody still makes a shutter bigger than size 2 (the big Compurs and Compounds around seem to be new-old stock from the seventies or even sixties). Copal quitting would doubtlessly leave a #2 gap - which hopefully might be big enough for DHW to add another size.

Rodenstock have their own shutter the eShutter which replaces a Copal #0.

There's also Meles Griot shutters although expensive and not at this time compatible.

Ian

Not an attempt to highjack the thread, but another example of what various posters have noted - I visited the Sinar website recently and they no longer list the f2 as an available camera, only the P2 as far as traditional film cameras are concerned. The list digital options P3, etc.

This is just, I believe, a reflection of the fact that the use of film among professionals (their target market) has been rapidly decreasing and also the large amount of used Sinar equipment available in the market.

Similar, I think to Schneider's position.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Flynn View Post
    Not an attempt to highjack the thread, but another example of what various posters have noted - I visited the Sinar website recently and they no longer list the f2 as an available camera, only the P2 as far as traditional film cameras are concerned. The list digital options P3, etc.

This is just, I believe, a reflection of the fact that the use of film among professionals (their target market) has been rapidly decreasing and also the large amount of used Sinar equipment available in the market.

Similar, I think to Schneider's position.
    Yes. I just got a used but truly like-new F2. Went to the Sinar website to look at available add-ons and noticed the camera is gone also. I love this camera so far! Shame it isn't made now. But hard to image they are actually selling any new cameras at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevo View Post
    . Copal quitting would doubtlessly leave a #2 gap
    Nonsense, #3 it would be - they haven't had #2 for ages.

Is any of this a surprise, really?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I contacted Schneider, and they confirmed that the lens lines and types I mentioned in my original post will be discontinued by the end of this year. They still have remaining stock, though. The archive section of their web site is currently being adapted to the new design and will be back up again.

Hello Arne
    Thanks for the information.
    The 150 mm Componon-S enlarger lens is still there, but, as you mentioned, in the new SK web site, not at the place you would expect to find it, i.e. outside the 'photography' section, in a strange section (at least, strange to people doing film photography since the last 50 years ..) named 'industrial solutions .. with leica thread mount'

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/in...ponon-s-56150/

No componon lenses in focal lengths longer that 150 mm in this section, but my understanding is they were already discontinued before the recent redesign of SK's web site.