Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cirkut is Alive! ALIVE!!

Re: The Cirkut is Alive! ALIVE!!

Thanks everyone for all the nice support. Cirkut Outfit was a 5X7, or 6 1/2X8 1/2 "Cycle Graphic" camera with an ordinary sheet film back that could be rotated off the camera, and a Cirkut camera back put on in it's place. The 6585 one could take 8 inch tall film, and the 5X7 one could take 6 inch tall film. The feebay ad was for 10" film that would fit my camera only. The 10's were solely Cirkut, no sheet film back possible. I have a 6 outfit at home too, that I can use 5" aerial recon film in.

Quote Originally Posted by searover View Post
    Jim, I applaud your work in this thread. Like so much of this great forum this is why I'm here, rediscovering our fore-fathers great strides.

But in reference to the fleaBay listing for the 1969 dated film, what is the difference between a Cirkut Camera & a Cirkut Outfit that the film box says wont work with each other? "Film for Cirkut Cameras can not be used in Cirkut Outfits" and visa-versa

Which do you have there in Tonopah? How wide does 4' cover?

I'll buy a print for $60. plus shipping rolled up. Might be a good Kickstarter project.

Rock on Mr G, rock on!

Wow.
    I think you get the prize for most amount of film exposed for one shot?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Congratulations! You must be one of the only people in the country still using one of these. I somehow missed the thread until now, but I'm very happy to see this! I used to love looking at the old cirkut pictures of military companies and barracks and such. Very, very cool.

Jim, You are a true artist and an inspiration to me and others! Fantastic work making these cameras and negatives come alive.

By the way, what does Calgon do? Is it for washing the negs?
    Many thanks!
    Mark

Calgon is just the trade name for Sodium Hexametaphosphate. It does the same thing it does with the pretty glass in the dishwasher. Makes the water run off and not leave hard water spots. We have nice water in Tonopah, but not so nice it doesn't leave a bit of it's calcium on deposit. Nice enough that I don't have to buy tons of distilled water for film projects though.

funkadelic

Jim,
    Kudos on the choice of project. Comparing new to old landscape/cityscape is always interesting to see. There's lots of history in TN and lots of old photos to enjoy... places like courthouses and such are long standing monuments and good points of reference. I enjoy seeing the changes (and sometimes lack of) over time. I look forward to your updates in this thread.

Best,
    Chris

Up on Mt. Brougher with the #10 Cirkut Camera;

Three of us packed it up there. My brother and nephew were my sherpa's. But I used the wrong focal length lens and did it over 2 days later . . . by myself.

The wood structure was built by F. W. Sheelor 100 years ago to do the 1913 picture we're re-doing.

The final image is complete . . but I left the scans at work so no access until tues. I did secure the original from the court house to scan. It's an obvious copy by the old process of making several copy negs and then making a copy positive. It has lost some sharpness and detail, especially in the shadows from the first generation image. I'm waiting until Monday to inspect another copy of the image in the assessors office. If it's an original 1st. gen. I'll beg and plead to scan it instead.

Can't wait to see what you got ... ;-) ...

Very interesting! Quite the process. Thanks for sharing!
    Thad Gerheim

Lee Smathers

I've been following this thread, not quite sure of the whole process, yet fascinating nonetheless. Just did a google search and came upon Richard Malogorski's video demonstrating the camera which further lead me to his online portfolio. Now I have a better understanding and much greater respect for this process. Thanks for helping to keep this format alive, Jim! It's very interesting, to say the least!