Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: B&W imagery from 1940-1960 movies - observation

B&W imagery from 1940-1960 movies - observation

About shooting current B&W films on color stock....

According to an article I read in the a Cinematographers trade mag.....the films are shot on color stock because the studio wants a color print for certain markets. Apparently it is hard to get people in certain parts of the world to pay money to see an "old" looking film. In the case of "The Man Who Wasn't There"...the studio would only agree to fund the project if it was shot in color.

The film was actually printed down in the lab to black and white...it was not done on the computer. The article goes into extreme depth about the process the lab tech came up with to give the film its look. If I recall...it was contact printed onto high contrast title stock....and pulled in development.

If I ever find the article.....I could post the little details.

B&W imagery from 1940-1960 movies - observation

Theres the new movie with Isabella Rossellini - The Saddest Music in the World (I think?) by Guy Madden - about 97% B&W - not sure how it was shot.

Then there is the first ten minutes of Jude (the Obscure) - shot on Ilford B&W film stock as I recall - a beautiful stunning sequence - by Michael Winterbottom. I see Ilford has finally stopped making film stock?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog