Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any recomendations for some cheap metal work?

Any recomendations for some cheap metal work?

I have a Copal 3 shutter with a very wide retaining ring. The ring blocks it from fitting in my linhof copy lens board. I'd like to get the ring turned down. I'd like to not pay an arm and a leg to do it. I remember hearing that there was a member on here who used to do affordable work. Any suggestions? Rough but workable would be fine by me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361634931.453104.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	90028

Re: Any recomendations for some cheap metal work?

Why not do it yourself? Get a new sharp file from the hardware store. The retaining ring is likely only aluminum, or maybe brass. It would go really fast.

Paul, that's actually a flange that goes on the front of the lensboard, and is held with screws and nuts. A Copal 3 shutter usually has a spacer ring between the shutter and the lensboard. Otherwise it may be difficult to operate the shutter. If the screw holes on the flange do not interfere with the light baffle (the raised ring on the back of the lensboard), it might be easier to drill holes into the board and put the flange on the front.

Kumar

I agree with B.S. Kumar. It is supposed to go on the front of the board. Used as a jam-nut probably won't work well due to close fit to the shutter, as Kumar said.

It is very likely that the screw holes will go right through the light baffle ring on the back without harm. I have done this myself. You should drill and tap the board to suit the screws. If you cannot do this, then it is an easy job for a pro.

Go to the big auction site and search for item # 130855576789, and look at the pictures of the back of the lens. It shows where the screw holes are likely to fit.

probably cheaper just to buy a retaining ring from ebay.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

Preston Birdwell

Contact SK Grimes. Since you already have the appropriate flange and board, you can send those items, along with the lens, and they will mount it for you.

I had this done very recently with my 70's vintage Xenar 210/4.5 Copal-3 on a Linhof board. They did an excellent job, and it wasn't very costly. It works just fine on my Chamonix.

If you want a retaining ring, you'll have to know the exact diameter and thread size that will fit your lens. You will also need the spacer, as has been mentioned. SK Grimes does sell rings and spacers, but again it's easier to send the lens to them and have them mount it for you.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Find a local machinist, or a retired gentleman with a garage.
    Or as someone here once suggested to me, affix the shutter with hot glue; apparently it holds very well, yet is quite easy to remove if needed.

That flange belongs on the front of the lensboard, not the back.

It looks too big to fit on the front. You need clearance for the retaining hardware.

It might be possible to mill enough of the flange off to clear the hardware, but that would require having the shutter along with the flange and board so the shutter control levers would be positioned properly when the shutter is tightened in the flange.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Thanks everyone. I hate to say it but I think Ari's suggestion might be the winner...

ok I think I need the flange in front of the board to clear the camera. I'll try Grimes. Annoyingly, the outer rim of the flange is bigger than the hole of the lensboard...