Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know how to use a Premiere Fiber Print Dryer?????

Re: Anyone know how to use a Premiere Fiber Print Dryer?????

Wow such a bunch of different answers. Looks like Ed is the one who has actually used this model. Maybe you can post a picture.
    most peoples idea will involve something like half way down this
    http://photo.net/film-and-processing-forum/005enK
    Which may not be what you are talking about.

I'll see if I can find my directions. I have used it for RC but I always put the print surface against the canvas. Anymore I usually just use a blotter and let the RC prints dry on a piece of window screen I picked up from Home Depot. Blotters for various sizes used to be available at Freestyle. The print dryer really is not that big of an advantage for RC.

For fiber, where you place the print surface against the chrome, it is worth its weight in gold if you need a dry print quickly, or you want to gloss it. It does work pretty quickly so you don't just put in a print to dry and walk away. Again, I rarely need a print that fast so I usually let them drip dry.

I guess the bottom line is that the print dryer can be handy, but it is also a bit of a pain in the neck to get, use it, and then make sure everything is spiffy clean for the next time. It is just one more "thing" in a long line of "things" and I usually am not interested in dragging it out. It is usually easier to dry thing in the spare bathroom. Of course, if you have little kids running everywhere who use that second bathroom continually, or you don't have a spare bathroom, then the dryer may be worth the little extra effort for you.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Mine is ancient. I don't know what brand it is but it is the same.

Take Ilford MG IV Glossy paper. Dry it both ways. The print with the emulsion (image) toward the canvas and away from the chrome surface will look exactly like Ilford gloss that you dry on a screen. If you dry it toward the metal, you will get a high gloss. It is as glossy as glass. The old promo shots from the 40's, 50's and 60's were always this high gloss. It fell out of fashion. But it is the highest gloss you can get.

You can't use RC. It melts instead of glossing.

I have only used Ilford Glossy paper in my dryer. Well and Agfa. I don't know what you will get using matte paper in it but I think it would gloss, not sure though.

I don't mean to be contentious but this is what this kind of dryer does. And if you like the look of that gloss, its cool. I like it but it looks like a shot from the forties. Dramatic lighting on a portrait and this kind of gloss looks period. Landscapes, still life, it doesn't work aesthetically.

It is a pain to get spotless gloss without oystering. But, a print dried on the backside looks exactly like dried on a screen if the canvas is clean. And it dries in minutes. How long on a screen?

The link above is good except you don't need any release agent. When the glossy print is done it will pop off the metal with no adhesion. You do have to have the print wet when placing on the chrome and squeegee or rub your palm against the print to make sure there are no bubbles and consistent contact.

I think they are great. But like I said, its a blast from the past. That high gloss fell out of fashion.

Prints will curl in the shape of the drum. Its not too bad and mounts fine. Certainly not wavy like other ways of drying.

I've heard of using a 10% Glycerin solution to keep it from curling but I've never tried it.

Here is another thread that seems to confirm what some have said here.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...er-Print-Dryer

Ok, based on the instructions with my Premier Print Dryer: "Never place the emulsion side of Resin Coated papers against the metal dryer surface."

It also says that RC (Resin Coated) papers will dry flat and wrinkle free in 15 sec to 1 min. Fiber based prints will take 4 to 6 minutes.

Photo flow is recommended with fiber based paper, but not with RC. Place the print face down and squeegee off the excess water. It is important that the surface of the chrome be very clean and polished. Ferrotype polish is available from Premier (according to the instructions.)

If using fiber paper, place the emulsion against the chrome surface for a glossy print, against the apron for a matte or semi-matte surface.

Here is the scan of my instructions. I hope it works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Premier Dryer Instructions.pdf 
Views:	33 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	89941
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

If you decide to use the print dryer make sure that the cloth is clean. Many likely dried less-than-well-washed prints on driers like these and the cloth can be contaminated with fixer. Wash with water and a tiny bit of chlorine bleach to neutralize the fix. Rinse very well and dry.

If you use the metal platten to impart more gloss to your prints make sure the contact with the print surface and metal is uniform and compete. Otherwise you'll get areas of less gloss.

It doesn't matter what the designation of the paper is (glossy, lustre, etc.), drying emulsion to the metal will give the print relatively more gloss than drying it with the pirint surface to the cloth. E.g., a glossy paper will be glossier when dried face to the metal platten than face to the cloth.

I, personally, would never use such a print drier. The danger of contamination and damage is just too great. I air dry my prints on screens. This does, however, take significantly longer and the prints end up curling a bit. I dry mount my prints, so no problems there.

Best,

Doremus

The dryer aprons on the big drum types were very touchy for alignment. There were alignment adjustors on the front roller keep the apron tracking on the drum. Lab had a ferrotype drum with a latch unlatch for the squeegee roller, emulsion toward drum and squeegee on for ferotype, squeege off and emulsion toward apron for mat. Without enough heat and time emulsion will stay stuck to the drum until it looses its water content. Not a problem, give it time and it will finish. Tweek the heat and let it goe around again.

Don't be afraid. Try it out. If it was a school dryer, it has probably been abused and there may be some residual hypo. If you wash your own prints carefully and you clean or replace the canvas cloth, you can use it forever without contamination.

Re: Anyone know how to use a Premiere Fiber Print Dryer?????.......Part II

Hello again, and thanks again to all.

I do have one more question about the dryer if I may.....

There is a stack of 16x20 paper beside the dryer that I don't know what to do with.

It is very thin, and flat like typing paper on one side, and the other is very high gloss plastic coated.

Does anyone know what this paper is for? I'm not even sure it goes with the dryer...

Thanks,
    Richard

Is it mounting tissue? I don't know but if it is, it is used with the dry mount press.

Good luck Richard and have fun.