Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greater than 1 Second shutter speeds

Greater than 1 Second shutter speeds

Try a countdown timer from Radio Shack. You can place hours, minutes or seconds. You get an audio signal when the time is up freeing you from the need to watch (forgive the pun) the time every second. You can also start and stop them if the need arises for stopping the exposure for wind or other reasons. They also work int hedarkroom for timing developer or fixers, etc. Again, they simply free up the attention to timing.

David Schaller

I find that 2 seconds is the most difficult. I usually open up or stop down the lens to avoid the 2 second time. Otherwise, using my watch is just fine. Dave

If the exposure needs multiple seconds why not just cock the shutter again and fire it until the desired exposure has been reached? Cocking the shutter shouldn't move the camera if tripod adjustments are well locked down especially if you wait a bit and let any vibrations die down. Of course, if the light it changing rapidly, this may not be practical.

Given that many time exposures are in dim lighting (and not having thought of a metronome) I just practised counting seconds until it is about right. (Just One..two..three...so unimaginative!) I find I can get it right to within 10% or so for 30 second exposures which is near enough.

I look at my watch, like so many others. Exposures between 2-4 seconds are the most difficult, as small mistakes are likely to make a perceptible difference. I either try to avoid this time range (closing down a stop to get to 4+ seconds, for instance) or look at my watch for a few seconds before taking the shot, counting the seconds in my head and making sure my set is set on the watch - I want the shutter to open and close exactly when I count the next "click" in my head, watching the needle. Works fine for me; I've exposed several slides that way as well.

I bought a digital stop watch for that purpose. I start at zero, synchronize my head to the ticking of seconds, and then trip the shutter at 10 seconds. For a 3 second exposure, I would release the shutter again at 13 seconds. Etc.

I would prefer an analog stop watch, so that I could watch the tenths hand come full circle. But, these are hard to find For a three second exposure, being off by a 1/3rd stop would equate to about 0.8 seconds on the long side and about 0.6 seconds on the short side. So, one should be able to at least be within a third stop. For a two second exposure, I would tend to trip the shutter twice with the shutter dial set to 1 second.

Of course, my digital stop watch doubles as a regular watch, which I never carry.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I count. Click, one, two, three, click for four seconds. I have many years experience in keeping a steady 60 beats per minute - or any other beat for that matter. My counting is at least as precise as the shutters are at faster speeds!

Most digital light meters have a programmable exposure timer. I've used my Gossen Digisix from 5 seconds up to 8 minutes since I don't generally carry a watch (the Digisix has a clock as well).

I find that 2 seconds is the most difficult. I usually open up or stop down the lens to avoid the 2 second time.

An even simpler method is to set the shutter to 1s and trip it twice. That way you don't have to compromise on depth of field.

I use the multiple exposure technique too, even for the odd times like 0.7" in which case I fire 3 x 1/4 second. If you subject is moving, such as wave motion on a beach, it leads to some nice effects too.
    Leigh Perry
    www.leighperry.com