Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want a rollback view camera with adequate tilt for Landscapes? Horseman VHR?

I want a rollback view camera with adequate tilt for Landscapes? Horseman VHR?

Hugh,

I don't know anything about the Horseman but the Graphic is a possibility, as long as you don't need ANY back movements. I used a Crown Graphic with roll film backs for exactly the purpose you describe. You can get a Crown, a roll film back, and a decent lens for under $1000. You don't need a Speed Graphic, which is the same as a Crown, but with a focal plane shutter. Although neither the Speed nor the Crown has forward tilt, you can make a very simple mod that will allow this.

Another possibility is the Super Graphic or Super Speed Graphic (the same camera for your purposes). This is NOT the same as the Speed Graphic. It was the model for the Toyo Field camera. It has an all metal body and extensive front movements. Like the others, it has no back movements but it does have a 360 degree rotatable back. It will take the same roll film backs as the other Graphics. It is likely more expensive but if you shop a little, you could still get a Super with a lens and roll film back for under $1000.

I don't know if portability is a high priority for you. If not, Kirk's suggestion about the wide angle early Calumet (their model CC-402 if I remember correctly) could be an excellent recommendation.

More recently, Calumet has produced a wide angle version of their "Cadet" model. This might be an even better possibility. It is rated to take lenses down to 47mm. If you should order one, I think you would probably want the Graflok kit which oddly is a $37.00 accessory. The camera looks quite light, but may be bulky when packed up.

If still more portability is important to you, there are some way out in left field possibilities. In England, quarter-plate (3 1/4" X 4 1/4") cameras were produced for many years in both field and "hand or stand" models. Very similar field typoes were made in Japan. Both types had removable backs which could be replaced by a 2 1/4" X 3 1/4" Graflok type back attached to an adapter. The field types were very light indeed, and the hand or stand not all that much heavier. Most had huge front rise and tilt, but no back movements, so to get the equivalent you have to tilt the whole camera and use front tilt. Similarly, most had no swing, so to get the equivalent you have to lay the camera on its side and use tilt. The field models are quite good for wide angle use. Some of the hand or stand types have a short focusing slide built into the box. To see what both types were like, try searching eBay UK for "Sanderson", though at any given time you might not find much.

Hugh, I use a Horseman 45FA and started with 6x7 and 6x9 Calumet roll film backs. (My enlarger at that time could only handle up to 6x9.) I shoot landscape and old buildings. Lenses are 75mm 90mm, 105mm, and 180mm. (different brands). Now I have a 4x5 enlarger and shoot mostly 4x5. I read that a 65mm lens would work on this camera, but I've never used one. The 45FA has plenty of movements and is well made. I wish it had a longer bellows. It does have extension to the back which can be used for tilt and swing on the back. Hope this helps.

dee

Hugh, I have a Panfield 4x5 which takes Graflok backs and hence rollfilm holders. In its basic form it will go to a 47mm without a recessed board and with the extension rail for the "long" version I go out to a 450mm. Lots of tilt, swing, rise and fall on the front, but shift only on the rear of the basic version. The longer extension allows for rear tilt. This is my first LF camera and I am pretty happy with it for land/sea scapes. You would have to check the Panfield web site ( made in South Africa by Andrew Meintjes ) for other details. Mike

Hugh,

Have you thought about getting a new scanner and shooting 4x5 inch? It should be easier to find equipment, less expensive, and give you potential for higher quality as well. The Epson Perfection 4870 can often be found on ebay listed in the $400 price range ($550 for the 4870 PRO, which has some extra software), and it is getting good reviews. It will do negative and transparency sizes up to 6x9 (inches that is, not cm), and some say it does a pretty good job on 35mm as well as a result of its optical resolution of 4800 dpi.