Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What printer gives the best B/W prints?

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Re: What printer gives the best B/W prints?

The weakest link is usually thee base upon which it is printed. A noble metal will always outlast a pigment and has. If the biblical Moses hadn't got so pissed-off when coming down from the Mt. Sinai with the Ten Commandments in hand and threw them at the flock which had resumed worshiping the calf, they would be enshrined somewhere today in a museum.

Thomas

Ron, if you want pure carbon that's warmer than Eboni 6, you could add a MIS Glossy carbon in LK and LLK dilutions to your inkset. They are 100% carbon pigment as well, but they print warmer than dilutions of Eboni. I would make a warm QTR curve. That way, you could mix the warm and neutral curves to taste.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Ron, if you want pure carbon that's warmer than Eboni 6, you could add a MIS Glossy carbon in LK and LLK dilutions to your inkset. They are 100% carbon pigment as well, but they print warmer than dilutions of Eboni. I would make a warm QTR curve. That way, you could mix the warm and neutral curves to taste.
    Peter, where would I place the LK and LLK? K, C, LC, M, LM, or Y? I'm thinking replace the magentas, no? (M->LK and LM-> LLK)? M is 18% eboni and LM is 6% eboni.

I just realized you said MIS Glossy. I'm looking for matte only. Sorry I didn't state that. From what I have read, the only way to achieve tone changes with the EB6 matte inkset is by paper (lab B).
    Last edited by gevalia; 24-May-2014 at 03:38. Reason: forgot to mention I'm interested in matte papers only

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Ken, just curios, did you cover part of the print with an opaque material when you did your "sunshine" test?
    Yes - that was the point of the test. We can't tell where the cover was placed. This wasn't a rigorous test, but more like the Thomas Edison test of a packing crate: throw it out the window and see if anything breaks.

The MIS glossy carbon prints fine on matte paper. Paul Roark has used them when he wanted warmer results on matte paper. I did that myself a few years ago on with a 4880. What inks are you running in which slots?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    The MIS glossy carbon prints fine on matte paper. Paul Roark has used them when he wanted warmer results on matte paper. I did that myself a few years ago on with a 4880. What inks are you running in which slots?
    Just the basic EB6 kit from MIS.
    BK = Eboni matte - EB6-4-K
    C = 30% eboni - EB6-4-C
    M = 18% eboni - EB6-4-M
    LC = 9% eboni - EB6-4-LC
    LM = 6% eboni - EB6-4-LM
    Y = 2% eboni - EB6-4-Y

Ron, you should email Paul Roark and ask what he suggests. I'm under a tight deadline right now. If you want to do neutral and warm with the same inkset, that gets more complicated. If you just want warmer, then you could replace everything except the BK with the corresponding dilutions of MIS glossy carbon. Gotta get back to Photoshop....

Ron Miller

Thanks Peter.

Note that H Photo Rag will give warmer results with Eboni. There are probably others as well. If that gets you the tone that you want, that's much easier than modifying the inkset. Paul would have more suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Yes - that was the point of the test. We can't tell where the cover was placed. This wasn't a rigorous test, but more like the Thomas Edison test of a packing crate: throw it out the window and see if anything breaks.
    Ken, thank for the clarification.

Roger