Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pictorialism Images

Pictorialism Images

I have been reading about pictorialism recently, and looking at images (mostly from the 19 century). I understand that it usually involves alternative processes and negative manipulation, but also usually some soft focus. In the early days it seems a simple meniscus was the preferred lens, so I thought I would give it a try with just the 7.5" f/2.7 lens I made over Christmas with a cheap magnifying glass and a shipping tube. I looked for a place to post my experiments, and while there are several threads on the philosophy of pictorialism, there are no image-sharing threads, so I thought I would start one.

Here are four images I made as tests. I know Mark doesn't like tests, and these are not particularly good images, but they do give a sense of what you might get in a similar situation. I hope others will also post their pictorialist images

Here is my wife by the pond at my kids' school. Shot wide open (f/2.7) and so severely overexposed that I had to do a 12 second contact print in full room light to get an image. This is my wife's favorite, but I think it excessive:

Here is the same scene shot at f/8 and scanned. I prefer this level of softness:

And here is the same scene at f32, also a negative scan:

I read somewhere that many pictorialists shot sharp, then introduced the softness during printing, so for the last example I stretched black stocking over the enlarger lens and printed the f/32 image then scanned the print:

Please feel free to criticize my images and comment on technique (but it is better to post examples to illustrate your point), as I had fun doing these and would like to learn more.

Re: Pictorialism Images

The idea of introducing "pictorialism" during darkroom work was used by Voigtländer in selling the WZ soft enlarger lens (mit malerische Weichheit)!

I think it builds on soft focus/optical imperfections, but is very much image choice determined.
    Like this "laid back" portrait!

I think pictorialism is more about printing technique used, rather than lens use...

(I might be wrong)

And there are a couple of threads adressing this:

Lens use: "Post in Galli Style"

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...lli-style-quot

"Soft focus landscape"

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ocus-landscape

Printing technique used:

"Post alternative technique"

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ive-techniques

I have seen many many pictorial images that are sharp - but with a pictorial printing technique used... And tack sharp images can easily be made pictorial using an alternative technique.

(but I like your tests..)

Tim,
    Great idea for a new thread! I like your experimentation too. Here are a couple where I tried to think like the pictorialists when I took them. I was thinking composition of shapes and tones as the primary aspect (over sharpness, depth of field, etc.). First, with a Verito:

This with a Dallmeyer Wide Angle Rectilinear wide open:

Garrett, great geometric of empty room.
    I think, Pictorialismus was not so much question of technique, but of picture results -
    photographs were intended to be be like paintings in impressionist or symbolist manner

(photogravure)

Thanks Hendrik, it was a building in an old mining ghost town. I like yours a lot, very classic Pictorialist. Yes, they were trying to replicate painting in a lot of ways. This thread is making me want to do some more!

Quote Originally Posted by hendrik faure View Post
    ... but of picture results -
    photographs were intended to be be like paintings in impressionist or symbolist manner
    yes - hence the technique used....

two examples:

First four different versions of on eimage - the original is not pictorilastic in my mind - the three others are...

second is "before and after" the pictorialism sat in....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails serie.jpg   serie2.jpg  

Goa. I recently aquired a Dallmeyer 1a rectilinear for about $20 at an estate auction, Is that the kind of results I should be expecting? I've been a little lazy about getting it mounted up and used, maybe WAY too lazy... I'm not even sure it will cover my 4x5, haven't really investigated it much yet. Love that shot.

Dallmeyer 1a rectilinear
    The 1a rectilinear (patent wide-angle) covers full plate (8 1/2 x 6 1/2").
    Sounds perfect for interiors " For architectural views in Confined Situations" - as Dallmeyer said.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estacion Ferrocarril 101.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	89793Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estacion Ferrocarril 102.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	89794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Estacion Ferrocarril 103.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	89795
    Here's three I been using a speed graphic and a single element projection lens, on the first one.
    The others are from the front half of a cinephor lens.
    Sorry the quality isn't that good but I don't hae access to a scanner that can handle 4x5.
    Presently I'm in Colombia having lots'a fun