Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Right to photograph buildings

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Re: Right to photograph buildings

I don't get the impression those tripod rules are heavily enforced in NYC. I've heard of people getting in trouble when they block sidewalks (I wish everyone would get in trouble for this, not just people with tripods ...). And back when Brooklyn Bridge Park was a state park, they tried to boot out anyone with a tripod who didn't have a permit. It's been annexed by the city since then ... not sure if this policy remains.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    She attended Harvard as an undergrad and was an organizer of the student protests (which became borderline riots) during the Viet Nam war. I think someone who's thrown herself into outright civil disobedience in the face of riot cops would laugh at these worries about a photo permit on her old battlefields. [...]
    That was then. A lot changes in the passing of time, and one's obligation to the employer.

I was there, too. Many private universities and colleges learned it was better to let the demonstrations proceed and act only if a physical riot or property damage occurred. (Kent State was not a private university.)

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    I'm new to LF and have just gotten all of my gear together. Now, I want to practice. Being in Boston, I was thinking of going to the Harvard campus to take some photos. Are there any legal complications in doing this? Could someone ask me to leave? During the day, anyone can just walk onto the Harvard campus. These photos would be for my own personal use and not for sale.
    I've always generally done what Merg does. I go anywhere, usually looking like a klutz so that if I'm accosted about taking pictures I seem surprised. If asked to leave I pack up and go while apologizing and suggesting that my photography seemed to be harmless. Almost never have any conflicts.

In the last several years there has been more interactions with police especially but then I've been poking around urban areas a bit more.

I've done some occasional LF work on the Harvard campus in the vicinity of the Aggasiz museum and the Yard and never been accosted by anyone except Harvard students - in fact there was such a gathering of students one time in the 1990s that I suppose we appeared as a field trip studying LF in the Yard.

The Neanderthals seem to roam further afield than university campuses.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

I've photographed on many university campuses (including Harvard), granted not with LF, but still with a tripod, which is what attracts the attention of guards. I've never requested permission nor been hassled by anybody. Interestingly, I've licensed quite a number of the resulting images to Stanford University. Unless it is going to be obviously problematic my adage is "easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".

Best of both worlds: Research the photo location, ask about any rules, know what to expect if you’re approached, then forget about getting formal permission, just do it w/ full knowledge of the rules you might be breaking and a readiness to be contrite, to leave, and to accept the consequences.

Sound good?

Well, it does to me, but I remain curious about a lot of people in this thread: If a stranger walked up to your camera, and – while totally ignoring you, and asking no permission – reached out and applied a movement or two, removed the film holder for a curious inspection, turned the lens’ aperture dial just for fun, then pressed the shutter release a few times to see what would happen, but never meaning to do you or your camera any harm (which you wouldn’t know unless you could read his mind), would you suddenly feel like the Harvard PR administrator or campus guard who sees an LF photographer on school grounds without a required permit?

bdkphoto

My approach is pretty straightforward. If I'm on assignment I will always get permission. I look forward to speaking with the gatekeepers like the Public Affairs officers or the property owners because it's good business. I find opportunities to land new clients that way, and establish relationships that pay off over the long haul. Being able to represent yourself properly is a skill that is as important as being a good photographer, and has gotten me access to places that are not available to the public.

Most of the issues with access on private property have nothing to do with security, but everything to do with liability. If you can provide the proper insurance certificates you can get almost anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by QT Luong View Post
    I've photographed on many university campuses (including Harvard), granted not with LF, but still with a tripod, which is what attracts the attention of guards. I've never requested permission nor been hassled by anybody. Interestingly, I've licensed quite a number of the resulting images to Stanford University. Unless it is going to be obviously problematic my adage is "easier to ask for forgiveness than permission".
    It appears that you have earned the way. If I were a Stanford publications or PR director, I would be happy to find that a courteous and talented photographer was working on speculation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post

Well, it does to me, but I remain curious about a lot of people in this thread: If a stranger walked up to your camera, and – while totally ignoring you, and asking no permission – reached out and applied a movement or two, removed the film holder for a curious inspection, turned the lens’ aperture dial just for fun, then pressed the shutter release a few times to see what would happen, but never meaning to do you or your camera any harm (which you wouldn’t know unless you could read his mind), would you suddenly feel like the Harvard PR administrator or campus guard who sees an LF photographer on school grounds without a required permit?
    Probably, but I'd use my cell phone to call the police and we would hopefully hash out the problem amongst ourselves.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

bdkphoto

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    It appears that you have earned the way. If I were a Stanford publications or PR director, I would be happy to find that a courteous and talented photographer was working on speculation for me.
    Licensing an image from stock is not the same as working on spec.

One of the reasons why I never invested in a CF tripod is because I don't want to break it while beating a rent a cop to death over his harassing of me. Aluminium is much better Seriously, you give some junior high dropout a badge and a uniform and all of a sudden they have a ego like no other. Almost as bad as the TSA.