Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone using a shoulder bag???

Anyone using a shoulder bag???

I tried several of the popular backpacks and shoulder bags, as well as some of the non-photographic solutions. What I've arrived at is to pack individual items into smaller, padded cases and then throwing the cases into a traditional daypack, satchel (like the Domke 804) or camera bag. I've found the Gnass Gear cases for lenses and their film holder case to be excellent - I can fit a ReadyLoad holder and 40 RLs into the three-pocket film holder case, and it can hang off the tripod in use. I also have a few "ditty bags" for small items like lens wrenches, focus scales, level, etc. Kinesis Gear, while mainly aimed at the SLR audience, makes several cases that can hold 4x5 cameras and other stuff. I used to put my Technika into a Kinesis, toss it and the Gnass Gear case into a daypack, and put the meter on my belt. Small items are in a ditty bag, and I'll wear the loupe around my neck during shooting. All this also fits into my courier style shoulder bag, and it works well for air travel.

I've found the Kinesis belt system to become a swaying, swinging mess if overloaded, but with a moderate load the belt system is a joy to work out of. But I feel dorky wearing it, and it can get hot, so I don't use it as much as "normal" bags. BTW, the Kinesis website has a lot of good "thinking" and general bag information, including comparisions and opinions about other manufacturers! Good reading.

While the Kinesis, Lightware, and other pouches are expensive and well made, there are also a lot of cheaper alternatives to consider like insulated lunch bags, Tupperware, and lowly Zip-Loc bags... Lowe-Pro also has a line of small "wet-suit" neoprene cases made for digicams that work well for individual items.

The only thing I don't like is lashing tripods to packs but I use a heavy Gitzo #3 metal. If I used a light 1228 Carbon Fiber tripod I doubt I would notice it at all!

FWIW, I love Domke bags but avoid the original canvas ones (as the 804 is) in preference to the ballistic nylon (as in the F2B). The canvas catches a lot of dirt and tends to fray and rip easily - the nylon has held up much better. For SLR shooting with normal sized lenses (not huge zooms), it is hard to beat working out of an Domke F2....

My next purchase is for a "maximum legal sized" airline carry-on case (Porta-Brace?) in which I can throw all this stuff into. It is not as elegant as having "one bag" but the reality is our needs and gear change all the time, and there is no single perfect solution.

I have used my Domke F1X for years with no problem... well until I start bringing my Tech III out and start mounting lens ect. That's when the crowds appear and someone (it never fails!!!) manages to ask "...is that a Hasselblad.." I have always like shooting with the F1X because I can hook it to the tripod as a stabilizer, bungie it to the back of my mountain bike, or just carry it on my shoulder. Yes, I have had people chuckle but they are the one's with the backpacks and by the time I have my camera setup and have exposed film, they are just taking it off their shoulders... Just something to think about if your a speed shooter.

"I have never understood how to use a backpack when it has to be set on the ground to load and unload."

- My backpack has a handle at the top by which it can be hung from the hook under a tripod, clearing the ground. Granted, it sways a bit. Alternatively, if setting up in one spot for a while, the pack can be slung over the top of the tripod, before attaching the camera, by crisscrossing the shoulder straps. This is more trouble, but the pack is then higher, steadier, and tilted back a bit, making it easier to access.

Actually I don't care much if I get mud on the outside of my pack; I just don't like to bend over to use it on the ground.

Christopher: have you though of using a tripod apron (http://www.adorama.com/BG3146.html). You could probably knock up something similar yourself using webbing straps and pop-rivets to hold the backpack high up between the tripod legs.

Personally, I use a couple of plastic boxes (padded with sleeping pad foam) inside a normal backpack; putting them on the ground is not a problem. One day I will bite the bullet, part with my credit card and get a "proper" photo backpack...

Cheers,