Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Options for 5x7 development

Options for 5x7 development

I'm currently using a Mod54 for my 4x5 films, but recently I've been shooting a bunch of 5x7 colour neg and chrome. Aside from tray developing which would be a PITA to do and keep a constant temperature, what other options are out there. I'd like to keep it under $100 if possible.

Maybe a Jobo tank on a DIY roller base?

Re: Options for 5x7 development

UNicolr processor witha print drum?
    See Graywolf Phillips article on Unicolor linked on the LF Homepage. A drum that can handle 5x7 prints should work. All cheap ebay stuff.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I was about to buy one on the bay, but some little punk swiped it from under me.

It would depend on how many sheets you want to do at one time. I have found using print drums can give rise to some streaking issues as you move up in format size. Personally I have found that the best ways of either doing 2 sheets at a time in a Paterson Orbital or 4 sheets at a time Taco style in a Paterson Super System 5 reel tank (with half a spiral on top to stop the film moving around). Either method can be used for standard processing or Stand/Semi-Stand processing.

I use trays for 5x7 B/W I'm looking for a somewhat easy way to do 5x7 color, something that doesn't eat up tons of chemicals. I'll try the taco in a Patterson tank, it worked well for my 4x5 before I picked up the mod54. Just worried about marks from the bands.

Someone posted on how they made tubes for the film out of plastic window screen. I might try that too

I develop 5x7 in a Jobo print Drum using a Jobo procesor (u can use some cheap roller base). You just need to place the sheets emulsion side up. And this setup needs additional fixing in a tray. As the sheets touch the back of the Drum at few points that leaves few lines, additional fixing (lights on) in a tray makes them go away.

I did tray processing but purchased a jobo 3006 a few months ago and haven't looked back. I got the manual roller base from jobo but picked up an omega roller base. Trying it out tomorrow! Drum processing is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I'm currently using a Mod54 for my 4x5 films, but recently I've been shooting a bunch of 5x7 colour neg and chrome. Aside from tray developing which would be a PITA to do and keep a constant temperature, what other options are out there. I'd like, to keep it under $100 if possible.
    :::
    Maybe a Jobo tank on a DIY roller base?
    First, find a surplus laboratory constant temperature bath (aka water bath) on eBay. Be patient and don't spend more than $50. My first one was about $30 and the second (and a much better one) was 99 cents.

Then, get some stainless 5x7 film hangers - eBay again, $2 a pop if you are patient. Go to Walmart and buy some Rubbermaid one gallon food containers - a bit under $5 each and they nicely accomodate 5 or 6 5x7 hangers. Once you have a 5x7 hanger in hand, the correct Rubbermaid container will be obvious.

Put the Rubbermaid containers into the lab water bath for temperature control of your film development. Any decent laboratory water bath will hold +/- 0.2 degrees C; take the time to get it in stabilized and into calibration.

QED and good light-

I bought a JOBO 3010. You can do 10 4x5s (that's what it's made for) but I've also done 5 5x7s, without difficulty.

I've used various print 11x14 print drums but I've never been able to get one to consistently hold the negatives securely. Even in the Chromaga drum, which has the most secure rail system, negatives would still get loose and ruin other negatives. I finally gave up on them.

I do sometimes use 8x10 print drums, 2 5x7s per drum. That works, but 2 negatives per batch is pretty slow going for me.

tray or jobo 2830 print drum, roatated btzs style in a sink for 4 sheets at a time in daylight. You need one with clips and the push on style lid, cost about $100 . or home made btzs style tubes.