Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Do you work directly from your pack, or from a ground tarp?

Re: Do you work directly from your pack, or from a ground tarp?

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    I believe that AA always used a mule.
    Always, . Did I neglect to mention that I am also a jackass? (then again, hardly worth mentioning the obvious )

You guys with backpacks; I've added four SAW 200 round ammo packs to the sides of of my pack (2 on each side). They have metal Alice clips that will fit over any straps you have on the side and close with Velcro and a snap. Each pouch will hold 5 holders (4x5) in a baggie, or whatever you'd want in them. I've now added one to one of the front straps to carry light meter, loupe, a and Zone VI viewing filter. They are around six bucks in military surplus stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    After I took the image below (5x7 salt print), I left the camera on the pod, put it over my shoulder and walked down to the Mission. Checked out the back of the Mission (an AA shot was taken from behind) then walked around to the front to take a image from there. Framed up the shot, pulled my head out from under the cloth to grab my light meter -- and there was no pack there! Totally blown away that someone could grab my pack without me knowing!

After 30 seconds or more of pure panic, I realized that I had forgotten to grab my pack after photographing the lions! Shouldered my pod/camera and walked very quickly back up to the lions -- where my pack was patiently waiting for me...
    Oh, man I like that shot.

My friends have been known to refer to me as a pack mule.

In general, I may lay the pack on a windshirt or the ground as I work a shot. But more often than not, the camera pack stays on my back because I am prone to leave things behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Oh, man I like that shot.
    Thanks, Bill

Always, . Did I neglect to mention that I am also a jackass? (then again, hardly worth mentioning the obvious )
    When one of my boys comes in and says, "I smell an old fart." I just say, "Sorry, I'll take a shower tonight."

Typically work out of a pack on the ground, but have been trying to learn how to work completely off the ground. I think Doremus Scudder has it right. If you have a good off-the-ground method, then you have a much easier time working in shallow water. I almost gave myself a heart attack earlier this year trying to save gear from an incoming rush of water while shooting tide pools. Nothing lost except my love of putting things on so-called solid ground.

Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    ...If you have a good off-the-ground method, then you have a much easier time working in shallow water. I almost gave myself a heart attack earlier this year trying to save gear from an incoming rush of water while shooting tide pools...
    'Even off-the-ground does not always help...I was photographing with the 8x10 near the base of Bridalveil Fall last winter -- the wind shifted and the waterfall disappeared from the GG. When I pulled my head from under the darkcloth to see what was up, I saw the Fall heading straight down on top of me. I had time to toss the flap over the pack. Happened twice again before I got the image.

I spent lunch time just up the road with all my equipment spread out on a rock wall drying in the sun!

I work out of a Zone VI camera bag for 4x5 and whole plate cameras, which I put on the ground. If the ground is wet, I will use a garbage bag underneath the camera bag.

I photograph on the beach a lot, so laying all my gear out on a tarp is not an option - we have things called "sneaker waves" that will drown camera gear in no time flat. I need to be able to keep my gear close at hand for quick escapes.

I've recently started wearing a photographer's vest. It has big pockets that will hold my light meter, a couple of film holders and anything else I need while I'm actually working. I can put my dark cloth in the big pocket on the back while I'm walking around looking, camera on tripod. If I'm working a fairly level place with hard surfaces, I'll put my bag on a little collapsible aluminum hand truck from Costco ($19) and trail it around.

Yikes! In the field there are myriad situations each of which requires sensible approaches. Most of the time after I've taken my Wisner out of the daypack, put it atop the big Gitzo, selected a lens, cleaned all the optical paths, and shoved all the rest of the gear back inside, the only think I then need to deal with from one exposure to the next is grabbing the film bag out of the top of the pack. My lightmeter is on my waist belt. Now do I do all the under the dark cloth stuff with my heavy daypack still on my back? Well yes in some circumstances like standing in the middle of a stream or on cliff ledge. However if the immediate area has no issue, just to be less encumbered, I plunk it right down next to me somewhere I won't be tripping on it.

Pretty impressive set-ups! I use an F64 pack which has been up the Diving Board in Yosemite 3 times for overnights, 10-15 nights out at Shiprock and is going to Normandy tomorrow. Also trying a little Zone VI bag this trip.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4603.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	90745 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1091.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	90746 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4905.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	90747

I always take two Ortlieb drybags with me, one of which gets laid on out on the ground and used in the same way as your tarp.