Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Large Format Resources

Re: Used Large Format Resources

I know it's more than 5 or 600 dollars but there's a kodak master 8x10 on ebay right now with a buy it now of $1100-something. It appears to be in good shape.

Thanks for the head's up - no ground glass though

Midwest Photographic Exchange should be on your list.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks, John. They are indeed.

I'm afraid that I need to focus (sorry!) my efforts. Being away from LF for so long, many changes have taken place. Prices have risen.

Technology has changed such that there is attraction to me in not having a full wet darkroom, with the ability to scan LF negatives now somewhat economically.

I am thinking I will concentrate on 4x5 and a good lens and a scanner for now. Decisions...

I have found all my used gear on craigslist. There are site (adhuntr is one) that allow searches of all craigslist sites. This has been the best source of gear for me.

Quote Originally Posted by geoawelch View Post
    Thanks for the head's up - no ground glass though
    Pff, that's a trifle. A groundglass is easily replaced very cheaply.

Quote Originally Posted by geoawelch View Post
    Hi Drew

Either restore or rebuild woukd be fine

I did see some of the pieces that you mention on ebay - when you add what I need plus a bellows youre getting in the $5-600 range

Too much for me for that route - so we'll see

George
    Hi George,

Many years ago, in the last decade of the previous century, (mid-1990s) I bought a Kodak 2-D at the Houston Camera Show for ~$300. It has the tripod block but no extension rail. It was fully functional then but well-used. At some point (still pre-2K) I decided to refinish the wood.
    Al l the metal bits were removed and taped to cardboard in their proper relationship to one another with re-assembly notes, and set aside. I didn't strip or sand the wood. Just used one of the refinishing kits marketed to consumers that dissolves and cleans the original varnish. Re-assembly went far better than I had expected . . .no left over screws etc. Looks pretty good now, but still not facyory new, which was the plan.

I Don't think I could have rebuilt one from parts . . . I’m just not that good!
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Hey Drew

My story, unfortunately, was more sordid.

I had purchased mine complete but not together. The previous owner had disassembled it to restore and couldn't figure out how to put it back together. The good news was he was meticulous in documenting the disassembly with polaroids of everything.

Long story short, in the horrible break-up with the then girlfriend I only ended up with the pieces I have now.

Such is life