Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New FLM Ball Head

New FLM Ball Head

If you saw my previous thread about using a ball head for LF, you noticed there were equal numbers of people swearing by ball heads as there were people who swore by 3-way pan/tilt heads.
    I was in the latter camp, but the new ball head I got from FLM might shift me towards the former, and it might do the same for others.

I got the FLM 48FT yesterday, and tried it out with a Technikardan; attached was a Grandagon 115, my heaviest lens.
    I think the ball head is quite wonderful and unique, not to mention well-built.

The 48FT is at the farther end of the pro line-up, only the 58FT is larger; there is a 43FT and a 38FT, the numbers refer to the ball diameter.
    Each increase in ball diameter carries a corresponding increase in load capacity.
    I got this one figuring I'd use it on the 8x10 as well, since it's rated for 35kg (77 lbs).

Anyone who has used a ball head before will know how to operate this easily; there's nothing complicated or strange about using the head.
    It offers pan control, and there is a friction knob/lock knob-in-one; the friction knob is accompanied by a second numbered knob to set friction and let you remember the level of friction set; you can tighten up the ball, then go back to previously set friction control.

The best, and most unique part, is the tilt lock, mentioned in the previous post.
    I was able to easily level the camera, and then I locked the tilt knob; the camera could only move front-to-back and there was not a millimeter of side-to-side wavering.

The new head is a rock and carries a 10-year warranty should it ever loosen up or otherwise fail.

All in all, a very practical solution when one must consider weight and bulk; the head weighs just 580 grams, and is just 100mm tall.
    And for those on the fence about using ball heads with LF gear, fear no more.

Some pics of the new head:

P1000734 by Ari4000, on Flickr

...and from the back:

P1000735 by Ari4000, on Flickr

Re: New FLM Ball Head

Interesting. Who sells it?

In the US, a limited selection is available at B&H, reasonably-priced.
    Adorama has a more varied selection of FLM stuff, but they are much more expensive than B&H.
    Those are the only two in the US of which I'm aware.

So far, this ball head is winning me over; its precision and features are impressive, and it is rock-solid.
    It's making me take a hard look at my Manfrotto 229 set-up.

Thomas

I fully concur with Ari. I am using an FLM ballhead for quite a while now and absolutely love it. I use the smaller 38 FT model, which is strong enough for my Linhof Master Technika.

BTW, FLM started to make some nice carbon tripods recently, and I am a happy user of one these as well.

And they have a fairly unique, ultra compact quick release plate system which fits well with the ballheads.

Ballhead, tripod and plates make a real nice combo: robust and easy to use, yet compact and lightweight. Reasonably priced, too.

Greetings, Thomas

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9100 mit Tapatalk 2

Thomas, the ball head I first received was a 38FT as well, and I had planned on using it with my 8x10 folder; it is rated for 20kg.
    But as I had to return it to its owner, I bought a new 48FT instead, just to be on the safe side

These look really good. I'm looking for a ball head for a new lightweight 8x10 I have coming my way and one of these is currently a top contender. Hopefully I can track down a video of it in action before biting the bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris C View Post
    These look really good. I'm looking for a ball head for a new lightweight 8x10 I have coming my way and one of these is currently a top contender. Hopefully I can track down a video of it in action before biting the bullet.
    http://www.flmcanada.com/videos.html

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Thanks! Looks really good. I might have to order one now that my camera's on it's way to me.

Looks really appealing - even for someone swearing to geared three-way heads! Thanks for sharing!

Chris, you should be able to find an FLM dealer in Asia.
    Lars, FLM is readily available in Europe; I bought mine at SpeedGraphic in the UK.

Thanks, guys.