Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Music as analogy for LF photography

Re: Music as analogy for LF photography

Heroique, not to go too far with this, but if you read Finding The Mother Tree, for instance, the communication and interconnectedness in the root systems of trees in an area speaks volumes of how we have lost that same sense of connection with the earth. With meditation and calm observation without distraction, I am saying that these patterns are a matter of awareness more than anything. All senses and an open mind, serendipity. But to paraphrase Berkeley, do they exist if not observed. Ultimately they are a phenomena which we may or may not be in tune to experience.

If I can divert to the evolution of Miles Davis as a composer for a moment, he once observed a man limping and told Wayne Shorter after observing it, “play that”. Unfortunately we don’t have the facility with photography to express these things post facto, but are limited to capturing the moment as it occurs. But like the Davis quartets, one listens to the sounds and reacts accordingly, perhaps in many ways unrecognizable to those who are blocked, limited in interests, or who find the resulting chaos it akin to “nightmares”.

And I guess the nastiness of a meritocracy is that new ideas don’t languish, unique creativity doesn’t go unsupported, otherwise we all acclimate to a mundane sameness. Sad.

Take the time to watch this documentary about Arron Copland's music by MTT. What is presented and discussed is directly related to this discussion and lots more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix2xIl2XVro&t=213s

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by pdmoylan View Post
    I am not sure how one connects the dots in viewing images inspired by Copland’s Appalachian Spring for instance, but I am anxious to learn.

Will do, thank you, however with the caveat that I refuse to sit through the harassment of the insipid, omnipresent Liberty Mutual ads. Tasteless, mundane sameness. Nasty.

Elon is autistic as I am

I love watching him walk and talk, as his face, pace and grace appear then

Runs in my family, and they won't face it

Hiding doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Actually, I was agreeing with you -- the cult of the ordinary tends to dislike the visionaries, the outliers, and the voices of change...and can be quite nasty about it. Much easier to throw stones than gather understanding. It is a human condition, not a political one. And there is as much danger in worshiping them, also. But Elon is a strange kettle of fish. I have a close relative who worked for Tesla in the East Bay. He tried hard not to be around when Elon showed up. Too much uncertainty to want to deal with.

Some of the most gifted and creative individuals this world has ever know are Autistic.

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Elon is autistic as I am

I love watching him walk and talk, as his face, pace and grace appear then

Runs in my family, and they won't face it

Hiding doesn't work

[QUOTE=Bernice Loui;1626066]Take the time to watch this documentary about Arron Copland's music by MTT. What is presented and discussed is directly related to this discussion and lots more.

So, very fascinating and so much of Copland’s beautiful work. When I was taking a minor in music at Crane, Tilson Thomas visited for a master class in conducting, early 70s. Martha Graham and troupe performed several times as well, but unfortunately not to Appalachian Spring.

At the time Thomas was assistant conductor at Boston Symphony. I read Thomas has returned to the podium from brain surgery last month. An energetic and compelling educator. At church during the early 2000s played Simple Gifts on classical guitar with various singers including my spouse. Wonderful American “sonnets” based upon American folk music in part, with a wisp of hope and adventure throughout.

How to capture that simplicity and hope on film, now the quest begins. Actually, why not have a series of images shown on Vimeo/YouTube as the music is playing seems logical enough. With or without people in the images is key question to answer. B&W predominately, preferably 8x10? Obtaining permission for the music recording to be used along with syncing photos with the music in a video seem the greatest hurtles, of course after you have all the images printed. Much work ahead but a worthy endeavor.

I am a big fan of outdoor music and theater

This young woman plays Harp, a few Deer approve and 120,000 humans

'Naomi SV' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCN...6zHL4YuY226ZOQ

IMO, Arron Copeland tried to give America some sense of identity via his artist work. Copeland remains one of the fave composers to this date.
    Over two decades ago got a chance to meet and chat with MTT during a local pre-Grammy award party in San Francisco.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bernice+Micheal T. Thomas, 2-11-01.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	127.0 KB 
ID:	222467

That is me with MTT circa 2000.

That project of B&W images set to music would be more than a worthy project and wonderful that can prove meaningful in SO many ways.

Bernice

[QUOTE=pdmoylan;1626108]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernice Loui View Post
    Take the time to watch this documentary about Arron Copland's music by MTT. What is presented and discussed is directly related to this discussion and lots more.

So, very fascinating and so much of Copland’s beautiful work. When I was taking a minor in music at Crane, Tilson Thomas visited for a master class in conducting, early 70s. Martha Graham and troupe performed several times as well, but unfortunately not to Appalachian Spring.

At the time Thomas was assistant conductor at Boston Symphony. I read Thomas has returned to the podium from brain surgery last month. An energetic and compelling educator. At church during the early 2000s played Simple Gifts on classical guitar with various singers including my spouse. Wonderful American “sonnets” based upon American folk music in part, with a wisp of hope and adventure throughout.

How to capture that simplicity and hope on film, now the quest begins. Actually, why not have a series of images shown on Vimeo/YouTube as the music is playing seems logical enough. With or without people in the images is key question to answer. B&W predominately, preferably 8x10? Obtaining permission for the music recording to be used along with syncing photos with the music in a video seem the greatest hurtles, of course after you have all the images printed. Much work ahead but a worthy endeavor.

Aaron Copeland, A self Portrait.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WDYa8T83A4

Bernice

The environment can play into works of art, take Terry Reilly's pieces of him composing watching/listening to trees on a hilltop swaying in the wind, or 60's Detroit bands mimicking the industrial noise in the factory...

But I also think we maybe are drawn to the frequencies of the external or internal cosmos, it's just getting harder with the other background "noise" (internal & external) combined with the clarity to "hear" or feel beyond our mental dialogs...

Steve K