Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Velostigmat Series II; Info and Images

Re: Velostigmat Series II; Info and Images

Jim, that series looks really nice!

This is the 10" Velo SeriesII, shot with the Betterlight.. this time with an IR block filter.

This would be the effect on color film

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I've seen lots of 9.5" Velostigmat II's, but never a 10". Interesting! I love my Velostigmats, and it's always good to see them at work. Lovely images, Jim!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    This is from a 10" f4.5 Velostigmat Series II, without the diffusion ring. This was modified to add more diffusion. I'm not sure of the specifics (how much of a space was put there)... I bought this one from Jim (the pusher) Galli as well. This and the 12" have become a couple of my favorite lenses as of late
    Jim, that was an 8 1/4" iirc, and I used a piece of .032 solder to make the spacer to hold the 2 front elements apart from each other.

That one really seems to 'sing' too. What was I thinkin' about lettin that go :~'))

I'll definitely take you up on that offer one of these days.

dogsbody

What is the chance I could add more space with a 8.5-9 Graf Variable I own. Don't know much about this len's, has similar separation, with rotation of front element, but like the Velo II soft focus it is minimal. All this info hooked me when Mark & Jim's original info came out, these days I choked at the $700-800 price tag I see for the Velo II soft focus. Thanks

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

It should work, Murphy, as the front element separation introduces the spherical aberration, just like on a Tessar. The Graf Variable is a Dialyte, or very close to it, but it sounds like the same idea. The big question is can you do the mechanical modifications to the front of the barrel. Keep us informed!

And yep, the Velostigmats with the blur-o-matic option are up there these days, but they're worth it. And every once in a while, a bargain comes along. My 12-inch is pretty scruffy, so I keep watching and hoping...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

dogsbody

Thanks Mark, I've worked as a metal smith most of my life, usually jewelry, model making Ect. I can figure a way, just want to try to keep it stock. Have you thought of adding a shutter, or finding one with a shutter? They look fairly chunky for that, not sure I can get a Packard on my 8 x10. New to 8x10, can't believe I waited so long. I remember reading your original info on the Velo II, I think it truly opened up

dogsbody

Woops, sent prematurely. Your info on the Velo II opened up a new look for a lot of us that wouldn't venture into the "new" look that these expensive SF lenses offer. I just ran into Ken Lee's articles on Tessars, on the top of my list..

Mark gets credit in the Oxford New Dictionary for the word "fuzz-u-lator" which by the way could be worth about 300 points if you hit a triple word score on Scrabble with it. (I think you'd have to carry a second Z around in your pocket for just such an occasion though)

dogsbody

Mark, new to this & hope it is on topic. I drug out the Graf Variable to get a idea of what it will take to allow more revolutions as in the Velo IIs. One question would be about "haze". Not sure if that exists, needs cleaning, if it is what can be done about it. Beautiful lens altogether. It is a 8.5-9.5. Anyone know about this guy?