Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: has it all been done before

Re: has it all been done before

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    The first question is always not "has it been done before" but is "can I do something personally meaningful with this". If you can accomplish the latter the former question will be irrelevant to you and your audience.
    YES! This! Well said Mr. Gittings.

Bruce Watson

The first question is always not "has it been done before" but is "can I do something personally meaningful with this". If you can accomplish the latter the former question will be irrelevant to you and your audience.
    If it weren't for this philosophy, I would have completely abandoned photography long ago. I just have no idea what constitutes "innovative". And I hate the way "art" finds itself as a slave to innovation, just because too many of us (me included) struggle to make traditional photos that have any meaning to let along anyone else.

It reminds me of music. A century ago and less, many composers had concluded that there was nothing left to be said in major and minor keys (two of the original "church modes"--scale patterns--developed centuries ago). They abandoned tonality altogether. But, as it turned out, there was still plenty to be said in major and minor keys, after all. It's just that they couldn't say it.

Rick "who takes very few photos any more, simply because personal meaning is often elusive" Denney

Foamer

Until I start feeling like I'm in a rut with -my- photos, I don't worry about it.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

"Everything that can be invented has been invented. " (Charles Duell, Commissioner of the U.S. Office of Patents, in trying to persuade President McKinley to abolish his office, 1899.)
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I decided that it's all been done, but I wouldn't let that bother me. Instead, I'm documenting my tiny corner of the world, for myself.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

multiplex

probably everything has been done before, even by me
    but i don't really care because i haevn't photographed it before
    since i haven't lived the moments i am photographing before.
    light, time of day, everything changes so nothing is the same, even if it was photographed before.
    if i photograph someting that looks similar to what i made before i have something to editwhen it comes time to edit ..

maybe you can photograph it better than the last person ( or you did the last time ).

about every other month I feel like selling off all my crap and moving to a tropical island

then I remember that there are usually big spiders on tropical islands..

but eventually..I either return to normal..or return to insanity (whatever) - find some kind of photography or concept to rebel against and start shooting again

has it all been done before? oh probably..but people have short memories thank goodness

(Shrek)

It may have all been done before, but has anyone done it as badly as I?

Old School Wayne

How does doing something that is personally meaningful make the question "has this been done before?" irrelevant to my audience?

It's only speaking generally that there is nothing new under the sun. When we get to particulars, everything is new.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know