Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison VS BTZS for 4x5

Harrison VS BTZS for 4x5

good evening

Was wondering what peoples experiences were with these two?

I mainly shoot outdoors and on the street.

Any perspectives with pros and cons is greatly appreciated.

CHris

Lachlan 717

Re: Harrison VS BTZS for 4x5

I assume you’re referring to dark cloths?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Any question like this will get a variety of preferences. I've been using a 4x5 for a very long time, and simply use a heavy weight black tee shirt with the neck stretched around the GG and my head inserted in the hem.

Long time BTZS hood user, what I like is that they are compact and they really block out the light, which helps a lot when focusing my f8 and f9 lenses. I also have a Black Jacket which is pretty nice too but it doesn’t block out quite as much light as the BTZS hood. Haven’t used the Harrison although I did buy one for my 7x17 so I could drop it over leaky bellows, but that project stalled out so I can’t comment on the Harrison other than it’s nicely made.

Roger

yes

Thanks so much. I imagine th eharrison you can drape over the whole camera if you really need to? Well, thats what it looks like to me from th eimages on the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    Long time BTZS hood user, what I like is that they are compact and they really block out the light, which helps a lot when focusing my f8 and f9 lenses. I also have a Black Jacket which is pretty nice too but it doesn’t block out quite as much light as the BTZS hood. Haven’t used the Harrison although I did buy one for my 7x17 so I could drop it over leaky bellows, but that project stalled out so I can’t comment on the Harrison other than it’s nicely made.

Roger
    Is it at all heavy and is it easy to fold up small?? My back pack is not huge. I also hate having to flaff about when i am working as the one i currently have is pretty light and any gust will have me looking like a crazy person trying to cath hold of it

Quote Originally Posted by Christianganko View Post
    Is it at all heavy and is it easy to fold up small?? My back pack is not huge. I also hate having to flaff about when i am working as the one i currently have is pretty light and any gust will have me looking like a crazy person trying to cath hold of it
    I definitely prefer the BTZS over a traditional darkcloth if it windy. My 4x5 BTZS hood rolls up into a 3" diameter x 8" long bundle and weights 14 oz / 390 grams. What I tend to do, is to fold it in half or thirds and use it for additional padding for my camera so it doesn't take up much room at all.

Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Thoms View Post
    I definitely prefer the BTZS over a traditional darkcloth if it windy. My 4x5 BTZS hood rolls up into a 3" diameter x 8" long bundle and weights 14 oz / 390 grams. What I tend to do, is to fold it in half or thirds and use it for additional padding for my camera so it doesn't take up much room at all.

Roger
    Thanks Roger

I placed an order today. Will see how it goes but it looks like it would be perfect for me.

Still curious about the Harrison though. But havent seen so many things out there about it.

May opt for one in the near future purely out of curiosity!

I have the Harrison silver/black small size for my 4x5. It is light and folds up around the camera for added protection when transporting the camera case. However, I don't like the Velcro to close it up around the camera. It's just a pain to get it right and adjust it. It's difficult to close up effectively and then opens at the wrong time. Too fiddly.

I would think a dark cloth with a full 100% elastic end that goes around the back standard should be better. I tried the heavy black T-shirt approach but it blew around too much in the wind. Let us know how you like the one you ordered. Maybe I'll get one.