Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Starting to like X-Ray more and more
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20541317592_7fdb95e904_b.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	138334

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Alright, most of you probably already know this, but I'll post my recent experiences here so that others may learn.

I had serious issues with fogging when using green-sensitive x-ray film. Initially I was using a Kodak OC safelight in my darkroom, which was safe enough for paper and also for blue-sensitive x-ray film. It would fog green-sensitive film horribly though, so I bought a couple of red led bulbs thinking I had solved the issue. But some fogging remained. I recently put a piece of rubylith over one of the red led bulbs and I've been using that single light for the past week. So far, it seems that my fogging issues with green film are gone (fingers crossed).

Old School Wayne

what kind of red bulbs?

Please list exact make model and source. Thanks!
    Tin Can

Kodak GBX2 filters were used in x-ray darkrooms with ortho (green sensitive) film. "Ortho" was the term applied to green-flashing phosphor screens and green-sensitive film. The blue stuff was termed "Regular".

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by koraks View Post
    Alright, most of you probably already know this, but I'll post my recent experiences here so that others may learn.

I had serious issues with fogging when using green-sensitive x-ray film. Initially I was using a Kodak OC safelight in my darkroom, which was safe enough for paper and also for blue-sensitive x-ray film. It would fog green-sensitive film horribly though, so I bought a couple of red led bulbs thinking I had solved the issue. But some fogging remained. I recently put a piece of rubylith over one of the red led bulbs and I've been using that single light for the past week. So far, it seems that my fogging issues with green film are gone (fingers crossed).
    I'm interested in which exact bulbs failed your requirement.

I am aware of Kodak's recommendations.
    Tin Can

These particular bulbs were Showtec 19-led red bulbs in E27 fitting. They are probably 635nm wavelength leds. If I compare the hue of the LEDs with and without the rubylith, the rubylith filtered light looks a deeper red. Not just darker (obviously that too), but a deeper red color.

And like I said, no problems with the blue-sensitive film when using the red LED bulbs (without rubylith), suggesting that it really has to do with the spectrum emitted by these bulbs. In my experience so far, there's a little less than a stop of difference in speed between the blue and the green film I use. This renders a different source of stray light an improbable cause.

Does anyone have a similar experience, or is this a unique occurrence?

For some time i have been using and recommending these in red. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more.../attributes/13

Look at their spectrum chart.

I notice no problems with Ektascan and Kodak CSG.

I did have a problem with a Home Depot red led. http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-...0-BL/205351458
    Tin Can

It's funny, as the standard wavelength of a red led is 635nm. Weird how some bulbs apparently fog more than others. It may have to do with the current the leds are being driven with; especially with green leds a shift in the output spectrum is easily witnessed if they're driven too hard.

Vanbar Imaging here in Australia are advertising red LED globes that have been tested darkroom safe. They are on feebay and are rated at 620nm?? Was looking to make the change to led