Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: LF Studio Flashbulbs last night: Selfish images

Re: LF Studio Flashbulbs last night: Selfish images

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Gordon Bilson View Post
    Those constructions are excellent. If your artistic friend runs out of dead flashbulbs,you could introduce her to radio valves.
    Essentially similar, but amazing levels of internal complexity.
    I gave her 6 small ones recently. She prefers small pieces. I let her go through my tiny nuts, bolts and other parts drawers every so often. Some guy wants to use one for a product trademark. I told her get a supply of the consumable product for life as payment. She was not going to ask for anything...
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Thanks Peter, I actually have secondary use for used flashbulbs. a close friend uses them in her sculpture. She wants all I produce, Here is her work, but she prefers the interesting shapes of used ones.

Attachment 132992
    How did I miss this post? Your friend has resurrected Gyro Gearloose's helper!

Randy, you very rarely need a meter outside with flash bulbs,either. I used the same Sylvania Press 25's outdoors as well as inside. I used to run around the western San Fernando Valley as my beat for the local rag that I worked for as a teenager. I got the job because I had my own Speed Graphic. Essentuelly, you control the background light with the f stop, and the foreground people illumination with the distance from the lens. Once you get the guide number locked in your head for the film/bulb combination you use, it is very simple.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Jac, you are the flashbulb expert, and have given me much advice. I am slowly wrapping my head around how they work.

I love the fact if I calculate correctly, I don't need to meter. It's Sunny 16 inside now!

Lumenate me. Please!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Green Sheet??

Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    Randy, you very rarely need a meter outside with flash bulbs,either. I used the same Sylvania Press 25's outdoors as well as inside. I used to run around the western San Fernando Valley as my beat for the local rag that I worked for as a teenager. I got the job because I had my own Speed Graphic. Essentuelly, you control the background light with the f stop, and the foreground people illumination with the distance from the lens. Once you get the guide number locked in your head for the film/bulb combination you use, it is very simple.
    Good advice. I understand Press photographers always used a flashbulb, inside, outside, daylight and not.

I am old now, but never used flashbulbs or strobe when younger. GN usage took me a while and to complicate matters I have a large quantity of M2 and M3 which are unmarked and mixed up. They differ by 2 stops I believe.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Hey Randy... very cool! I use flashbulbs but never a shield, and never had one "explode" either. I understand the value of the shield, though. Question: is there any significant light loss with that translucent shield?
    The translucent shield is more to diffuse the light than reduce it. The loss is probably less than 1/4 stop.
    You are bringing back memories. Iused thousands of flashbulbs prior to the invention of the light weight electronic flash. I still prefer them, and rarely use the strobes. I have never had one explode.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Keep in mind that you can use a flash meter with flash bulbs if the meter has a cord. Bulbs come up too slowly to trigger the meter on their own. The cord triggers the meter and bulb.

Bulbs generally take 20 milliseconds to rise; that's what the shutter speed M takes care of - it fires the flash before opening the shutter.

Enjoy!
    SOme bulbs have a 20 ms delay, most have a 5 ms delay, and argon filled ones have zero delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    SOme bulbs have a 20 ms delay, most have a 5 ms delay, and argon filled ones have zero delay.
    We have a simple disagreement possibly about the meaning of 'some' and 'most'. All my M synchs delay ~20 ms (M and MF). I have Edison/Mazda bulbs, none the newer small bulbs that might rise at 5ms. The tiny zero-delay bulbs are uncommon and useless to me.

And I have a case of bulbs with a duration of 1.75 seconds, allowing just about any delay wanted, but I can't imagine not using M and a longish exposure. They are great for motion work.

Yes! Is it still going?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    Green Sheet??

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by premortho View Post
    Yes! Is it still going?
    Long gone, unfortunately. When they decided to become a real newspaper they let the Green Sheet die. What great memories, though. I loved that newspaper. The Daily News still exists, as LA's second largest newspaper.