Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow, I just saw a price of my (budget film that I get), and is now $50 more!!

Re: Wow, I just saw a price of my (budget film that I get), and is now $50 more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Just got a new vehicle. Didn't want a van but now I use power wheelchair i had no choice. Got a full size Ford Transit. Gas mileage is running 9 to 10 MPG. Figure 50 - 60 cents per mile.
    I used to have a junky old 1995 F150 tool truck (the kind that has the tool panels on the side, painted chalboard so kids can chalk on it). Something broken every weekend in the engine. I'll never buy another Ford V8 again. I was in that engine compartment and under the hood most weekends. That thing also got about 9-10 MGP. Fun to tool around and do errands but this was 5-6-7'ish years ago when gas wasn't that expensive considering.

These days, I kinda wish I kept it somewhere 'inopt' so I can dump another 5K into it for an electric conversion.

For those who aren't milk intolerant, I pay $9.99 for heavy cream to put in my coffee, where a few months ago, it was $6.99.

Yah, my next box of 100 8x10 better last me a while.
    --

Re: Wow, I just saw a price of my (budget film that I get), and is now $50 more!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Nearly all plastics, paints (including water-based acrylic), synthetic fabrics, and modern packaging, our vast road surfaces and majority of rooftops, is petroleum derived; all organic chemicals - pretty much everything that goes into film too, except the silver. Refiners are not charities, or very much concerned about additional layers of hardship under trying times. They're out to make a buck, and every extra penny they can squeeze out of us if they can, is exactly what they'll do. But now that we've gotta keep a sizable chunk of Europe afloat with energy, due to the war, I don't expect much drop in petro-related prices. It affects everything - manufacturing cost, distribution expense, point of purchase markup, just when we're trying to climb back up the ladder after the worst of a pandemic. Yell as loud as you want, but the only sound energy execs hear is the music of "ka-ching" of their own cash register. It can only be modulated on a competitive supply and demand basis, which they know how to game far better than we do. One less road trip for me this year.

Certainly not everything is sinister. At our huge local Chevron refinery complex, for example, a massive amount of R&D money is being spent on alternative energy sources; in their case, especially hydrogen fuel cell technology. I have a friend who works in that division, and it's expanding. Practically everything we touch and do iin modern society s somehow petro chemical related. As as for those who glibly say, "I'll just hand coat my own film" .... onto what, and with what??? - all that is still gonna be 90% petro industry dependent.

And I'll simply be more conservative shooting 8x10 color film, and shoot more 4x5 and 120 roll film instead. I never was a machine-gunner anyway. The other big hit to me personally is the current very high price of museum board. But I meter that out too. Where there's a will, there's a way.
    Two boxes of 20- Velvia 50 4x5 just arrived expiring in late 2023. Into the freezer either to use later or keep as an investment for resale.

Just got a new vehicle. Didn't want a van but now I use power wheelchair i had no choice. Got a full size Ford Transit. Gas mileage is running 9 to 10 MPG. Figure 50 - 60 cents per mile.
    Have you checked with a tax advisor to see if any of that is deductible as a medical expense?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Klein View Post
    Have you checked with a tax advisor to see if any of that is deductible as a medical expense?
    Also, check state vs Federal as the rules are often different.

The $20k+ it took to make the mods to the vehicle are deductible. The vehicle isn't. Although since at least half the miles we drive are to doctors and dentists the medical miles are deductible at a standard rate.

The $20k+ it took to make the mods to the vehicle are deductible. The vehicle isn't. Although since at least half the miles we drive are to doctors and dentists the medical miles are deductible at a standard rate.
    What I found interesting where I live in NJ is that while the Federal tax requires 7 1/2% of income before you can take medical and dental deductions, in NJ it starts after 2 1/2%.

M.A. Wikstrom

One would think that gas mileage would be better with the newer Transit than an older Econoline. My 22 year old Econoline E350 camper van with its 5.4 V8 gets between 13.5 and 17 MPG, depending on how and where it's driven. I just returned from a 2500 mile loop through the western US - in Colorado at high elevation was getting more than 16, and near sea level with the pedal to the metal and AC blowing got 13.5.

And yeah, film prices are through the roof. Talking with a friend who's been in the camera/film retail business for 4 decades, he thinks film has been under-priced for the past 20 years and it's now just catching up.

Quote Originally Posted by Axelwik View Post
    One would think that gas mileage would be better with the newer Transit than an older Econoline. My 22 year old Econoline E350 camper van with its 5.4 V8 gets between 13.5 and 17 MPG, depending on how and where it's driven. I just returned from a 2500 mile loop through the western US - in Colorado at high elevation was getting more than 16, and near sea level with the pedal to the metal and AC blowing got 13.5.

And yeah, film prices are through the roof. Talking with a friend who's been in the camera/film retail business for 4 decades, he thinks film has been under-priced for the past 20 years and it's now just catching up.
    That does seem low for a new Ford Transit. I have a friend who has a transit and built out a simple camping setup inside. Says he gets around 14.