Thread: Bostick & Sullivan kits

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Bostick & Sullivan kits

A proper negative for palladium wil print nicely at "0" or "1/2". Grade 2 1/2 is far too contrasty a paper grade for Pd or Pt. It is even more so for Salt.
    Several years ago I had the opportunity to print a waxedpaper negative from the 1840's which was designed for Salted paper. There is no silver gelatin paper which will print such a negative correctly. Others had attempted to print the negative for a show, and all prints were total failures. They were far too contrasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    A proper negative for palladium wil print nicely at "0" or "1/2". Grade 2 1/2 is far too contrasty a paper grade for Pd or Pt. It is even more so for Salt.
    Very happy to have you and Vaughn available for a little hand-holding (I'm in the process of building my own UV box.) A couple of questions:

1.) Do I remember rightly you underexpose a bit? I'd be curious how many stops, say, for FP4+.

2.) When you're in the field, is there a particular minimum "Subject Brightness Range" that you have in mind so that you're left with a reasonable expanded development? (Maybe not an issue out in sun-splashed SoCal, but it gets pretty dark in my East Tennessee hollers.)

Scott Davis

Quote Originally Posted by CreationBear View Post
    Very happy to have you and Vaughn available for a little hand-holding (I'm in the process of building my own UV box.) A couple of questions:

1.) Do I remember rightly you underexpose a bit? I'd be curious how many stops, say, for FP4+.

2.) When you're in the field, is there a particular minimum "Subject Brightness Range" that you have in mind so that you're left with a reasonable expanded development? (Maybe not an issue out in sun-splashed SoCal, but it gets pretty dark in my East Tennessee hollers.)
    The general guideline is expose as normal, but over-develop by 20%. But that also depends on what developer you're using for your film. That's what I do with my FP4+ in Pyrocat HD 1:1:100. I give the same time, 11:00, but I run my chemistry at 75F instead of 68, and I develop in a Jobo with continuous agitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    but I run my chemistry at 75F
    Excellent, thanks--as you might expect my temps naturally fall toward the high end most of the year, so that wouldn't be a problem. I might also try to explore some sort of continuous agitation (probably with BTZS tubes) as well.