Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Thread: Cindy Sherman Print Sells For $3.9 Million At Auction, The Highest Ever For A Photogr

Re: Cindy Sherman Print Sells For $3.9 Million At Auction, The Highest Ever For A Pho

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Try the album Glassworks. It's more "accessible" than his other work, which tends to be a bit too self-involved...
    To an even broader audience I would recommend "Songs from Liquid Days" as the "first Philip Glass" album. Seeing some of the films with Glass soundtracks helps as well.

--Darin

Re: Cindy Sherman Print Sells For $3.9 Million At Auction, The Highest Ever For A Pho

..or less likely to be distracted by the technology.
    I would love to agree with this, but something tells me my hubby would give me the wide eyes look and say something about my camera stuff taking up as much space as his muscle cars.

I first (and probably last as of now) heard Glass in the 80s. I don't know the piece that kept being played, but it was on a classical station from Albany, NY. It was just the same thing over and over and just didn't do it for me. I think if it were with a film that it might fit and make more sense, but just it by itself was boring to me (keep in mind that I was a teenager, too).
    I do like the Strauss horn concerti, too. Actually anything with a horn part better than oompa oompa. I enjoy listening to the Mozart ones when they're played by someone like Dennis Brain, but many recordings don't get me interested either. Having heard others by Mozart over the years, they all do sound similar. I guess it's like photography - I appreciate the technique of the player even if the piece (the photo) is similar to others or not that exciting.

>>I first (and probably last as of now) heard Glass in the 80s.<<

The earlier work by Glass tends to be more difficult to get into for many people. Highly repetitive... try something later...

--Darin

Camera Antipodea Richard Mahoney's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post

The earlier work by Glass tends to be more difficult to get into for many people. Highly repetitive... try something later...

--Darin
    Or one could just ditch Glass entirely and disappear into Eno or Jarre

Kind regards, Richard
    Richard Mahoney
    M: +64-21-064-0216 T: +64-3-312-1699 E: contact@indica-et-buddhica.com

--Darin
    And, yet, I liked Kraftwerk (I think that was how it was spelled) back then. As I remember, they were the electronic, punkish version of Glass. I have one of their albums somewhere - time to see if the turntable still works.
    And Glass has a bunch on iTunes.

--Darin
    Although the "repetitive" stuff is really what defines Glass's genius.

Glassworks is a good album. But my favorite early Glass work is the soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi. Don't get the movie--that takes commitment on a whole different level. Just get the soundtrack. Played straight through, it's about 45 minutes.

One thing I like about Glass is that his music is a return to consonance. So much of modern music has been dissonant or atonal, that one wondered if there was nothing left to be said with tonal intervals that actually sounded resonant. Glass has shown one way of breaking new ground with resonant scales and actual recognizable pitch centers.

But for me it's the opposite of Mozart, which is more fun to play than to listen to. Glass is absolute torture to play. I spent some time trying to find a way to do some of his stuff using a tuba, and the only way it can be done is with an ensemble playing fragments in turn. Glass's wind-instrument performers are masters of the difficult skill of circular breathing, which is not easy on tuba and vastly beyond my own abilities.

Rick "who needs to pull out that Koyaanisquatsi album again" Denney

Yup,

It's Kraftwerk indeed, there most famous album was "Autobahn", a great "song" and the best one from the ones I know a bit.. Pops up in my mind whenever I drive on the German highways (and not on my "own" Dutch highways.. )..already OT, but here it is..

Wir fahr'n fahr'n fahr'n auf der Autobahn
    Vor uns liegt ein weites tal
    Die sonne scheint mit glitzerstrahl
    Die fahrbahn ist ein graues band
    Weisse streifen, gruener rand
    Jetzt schalten wir das radio an
    Aus dem lautsprecher klingt es dann:
    Wir fahr'n auf der Autobahn...

Translation:

We are driving on the Autobahn
    In front of us is a wide valley
    The sun is shining with glittering rays
    The driving strip is a grey track
    White stripes, green edge
    We are switching the radio on
    From the speaker it sounds:
    We are driving on the Autobahn

best,

Cor

Quote Originally Posted by Winger View Post
    And, yet, I liked Kraftwerk (I think that was how it was spelled) back then. As I remember, they were the electronic, punkish version of Glass. I have one of their albums somewhere - time to see if the turntable still works.
    And Glass has a bunch on iTunes.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Someone could curate a really weird art event from all the stuff mentioned in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Someone could curate a really weird art event from all the stuff mentioned in this thread.
    Heh. Cindy Sherman to Philip Glass music? Yup, that would be really weird.

Rick "thinking Madonna would be more appropriate" Denney

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Ahhh... The Armory Show of 2012?
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."