Page 218 of 655 FirstFirst ... 118168208216217218219220228268318 ... LastLast
Results 2,171 to 2,180 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

Tim - if you want to try - you can run image with newton rings through Capture one - it has moir removal tool that might work It just never occured to me till now, and i might give it a whirl myself sometime ( i got big fat pile of digital shots to process ;(()

8x10 lith print from Kodak CSG. Had to crop a bit from original proportions, as i dont have dryer (go figure, i used to have one since i was 14 years old!) here yet, so edges of fb based paper curled a bit and i cant get damn thing to flatten properly.

Scan-130819-0001www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

Seriously. You can have so much more fun and better time just by shooting and exploring and printing than sorting out best time to process or best film or something like that..

Very true...

Sergei,

I may have to try that. But seriously, in this image it doesn't bother me at all for some reason.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    Well, here is my first effort actually shooting this film with an idea of outcome in mind. I'm not a nature or landscape photographer but I love the tones, softness and details in this image. This is an uncropped 8x10 shot made on Kodak Ektascan B/RA mammography x-ray film.

I wandering this weekend looking for interesting things to photograph and see the tones and range of this inexpensive film. About an hour from my house I found a state park with some quite beautiful small trees that I came to learn are Ironwood trees. They have a beautiful reddish smooth surface and the leaves and branches were quite beautiful. It was 105 degrees so I didn't wander far from the car to find a tree so I was forced to shoot a detail shot so that the parking lot or other elements wouldn't be visible in the image. Overall I love the tones and rendering of out-of-focus areas. I think that there are several crops of this image that would be more beautiful than the whole but I posted it here so that you could see how beautifully (in my opinion) that tones can be rendered by cheap film.

Deardorff 8x10 + Kodak 12" Commercial Ektar
    Kodak Ektascan B/RA X-Ray Film
    80 asa at 1/100 - f16
    Tray processed in Adinol 1:100
    Agitation for 1 minute followed by 15 seconds every minute
    Scanned on an Epson 750 Pro

Ironwood Detail by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr
    Great image and the grain looks super fine.

Can you post 100% crop? And how big do you think you can print this Kodak Ektascan B/RA film comparing to regular 8x10 B&W film? I've just read all 150 pages and very close to jump on x-ray film. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by rustyair View Post
    Great image and the grain looks super fine.

Can you post 100% crop? And how big do you think you can print this Kodak Ektascan B/RA film comparing to regular 8x10 B&W film? I've just read all 150 pages and very close to jump on x-ray film. Thanks,
    Is there a specific section you'd like to see? I posted 3 detail shots above that are pretty close to a 100% crop though this is relative because it is a scan.

As far as size goes, it really depends on what you're after. A lot of it has to do with your subject, lighting and process as to how sharp things appear - if you're after sharp. I think you can print this at any size you wish depending on process (wet or digital) and what your desired look/feel is.

Tim
    www.ScottPhoto.co

Oh shoot, I didn't read carefully. I thought they were three different shots you took.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottPhotoCo View Post
    I posted 3 detail shots above that are pretty close to a 100% crop though this is relative because it is a scan.

First portrait test using x-ray film:

Rachel 082013 by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

80 asa - 1/2 at f8

8x10 Kodak Ektascan B/RA Mammography Film
    Tray processed in Adinol at 1:100 for 13 minutes. Agitation for the first minute then every minute for 15 seconds
    Deardorff 8x10 + Kodak 12" Commercial Ektar
    Scanned on Epson V750 Pro

Inspiring Scott! I couldn't resist. I just placed an order of 8x10 Kodak Ektascan B/RA.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I've been away from the thread for a while but I think everyone should understand by now that x-ray film is fun, cheap and can give you great results. Still, you have to create something worthwhile! All of the information is here along with examples. Just do it people! The more you DO the more you KNOW!!