Thread: Seeking the perfect monorail

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Re: Seeking the perfect monorail

I'm in the process of wondering about that very subject myself... although I have it already : the Norma

Perfect for field work : lightweight, very sturdy, accepts any lens, easy to use, ample shifting ranges (H and V).
    It is easy to find, too, and generally cheap (in 4x5"), accessories included but I had to buy several before I got one that is in really really good shape. I use it every day, come rain come shine : see at www.axeldahl.com

What it doesn't do too well : vertical swing isn't yaw-free and getting the two standards aligned to perfection is... difficult. Apart from that, zip, nothing : it is made to work, withstand dust, rain and daily professional work. No idea how much it weighs but it is a moot point for me as I pack 7 lenses with it (from the 75 to the 210, with the 55 and 400 on the side whenever necessary). It isn't a P2 for sure but "light" is in the eye of the beholder - and his shoulders mostly !

Never mind the Sinar F1/2 : easy to find yes, lightweight, yes, very cheap, yes but they age extremely rapidly when one uses them outside, in the real world. I used the rear standard of an F2 for a while and two crucial points are now worn beyond redemption... Back to the Norma I went.

However, what troubles me is the lack of available parts and repairs possible and that weighs on the alternative candidate as well : the VX125. Apparently Toyo doesn't make cameras anymore (?) so it just is a matter of time before the same happens. The VX is pricier, too.

Re: Seeking the perfect monorail

Quote Originally Posted by Axel View Post
    However, what troubles me is the lack of available parts and repairs possible and that weighs on the alternative candidate as well : the VX125. Apparently Toyo doesn't make cameras anymore (?) so it just is a matter of time before the same happens.
    If you have a specific source for this, please cite it. As of this moment, the company's website is still up, with pages for both their camera and their machine tool products. See, for example, the page for their monorail cameras:

http://www.toyoview.co.jp/sub13.html