Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

Re: Intrepid 8x10 experiences?

New video with back modification: https://youtu.be/q98I5yMqmFk
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Thanks Peter for taking the time to expand on precisely what you were making reference to on your camera back.

I can see what benefits you are accomplishing.

Couple of thoughts that come to mind. First I would think that these adjustments would be best advised and deployed by Intrepid because not everyone has a table saw or the knowledge / experience to pull this adjustment off. Secondly, I become ever cognizant of not applying any pressure (or as little as possible) on the surface of my 8x10 film holders simply because these holders have to last me for the rest of my career. As a result I literally pre open my 8x10 camera backs with my fingers and do everything possible to not frictionally slide them on the inner surfaces of the GG back. On my Toyo 8x10 M with the bail back I can literally drop the holder in all by itself without touching either side of the GG or the camera. On my Canham 8x10 it is also possible. The Intrepid is the most challenging in this respect but it still can be done. All of my 8x10 holders look virtually new as a result. I see people jam holders into large format cameras with such force it blows my mind. Why I do not know.

Everyone should do what they like. I have holders that are decades older then me, and I don't know of any that have been damaged in that way, which is not to say that such damage is impossible.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Everyone should do what they like. I have holders that are decades older then me, and I don't know of any that have been damaged in that way, which is not to say that such damage is impossible.
    Although I considered photography and architecture as a career choice, I ended up being an engineer because I knew it would always pay the bills and afford me a life style. Labs in college that dealt with the adverse effects of friction and durability of materials struck a cord with me very early on. But you are right. it you pay for your holders you can rightfully do what you choose. Many times I choose to chime in on posts for the up and coming in this arena not the old school that had access to inexpensive priced holders. lenses and shutters to their hearts content. This is a whole new game IMHO.

Thank you Peter, does this make the withdrawal of the film holder easier too?

Andrea, yes it does.

they should grant you copyright at this point ;-)
    the good news is they will modify the back including a beveled edge from now on.
    hope they will help existing users too someway.

Well, I only thought of it after looking at my other camera backs, some more than a hundred years old. Thus, I don't think I'm the first to think of it. Anyway, I hope they do incorporate the bevel. Now if I can convince them to change their back springs to a conventional pin design, well, that too would be good. (With the current design, if the back is opened a bit too far, the springs can slip off. This can't happen with the very old pin/spring design.)

Regarding beveling the back, I used a diy sled that rides my table saw fence. I clamped the piece of plywood to it. This worked very well, but this is just a small bevel on a piece of plywood. It could be made in a number of ways: a bevel-cutting router bit with a bearing, a chisel, a plane, a sander, including a simple block of wood with some sand paper. This latter would take longer, but the chance of messing up would be extremely low.

Hi Peter,

Interesting video. I am particularly interested in the Tenba bag you're using. Can you tell me the specific model? I'm thinking of getting it for my Chamonix 810V. (I think the Intrepid and the Chamonix are similar in size.)

Thanks much!

Here's a link: https://www.polylinecorp.com/tenba-l...e-638-233.html I bought mine from B&H, but it's no longer a current model. Tenba's newer bags are here: https://www.tenba.com/en/products/sh...messenger-bags