Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fujinon 600/11.5

sashandaisy

Fujinon 600/11.5

Hello everyone,

I have an opportunity to get a Fujinon C 600/11.5 for a very good price. Is there a difference in the glass coating between the early version of this lens with the chrome shutter ring vs. the later version with the all black shutter ring? This lens is in a decent shape but it does have the earlier chrome shutter ring.

Thank you,

B.

Re: Fujinon 600/11.5

I think the location of the lettering is a better way to distinguish single coated vs EBC multicoated lenses, with outside lettering being EBC. The black shutter rings do indicate a newer shutter, and probably newer lens. I’d revisit http://www.thalmann.com/largeformat/fujinon.htm if I were looking at buying a new Fujinon.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gebhardt View Post
    I think the location of the lettering is a better way to distinguish single coated vs EBC multicoated lenses, with outside lettering being EBC.
    All Fujinon lenses with lettering on the barrel have EBC coating, and most, but not all, Fujinon lenses with lettering inside the filter ring were single coated.

A more complete website is: http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/indexfuji.htm

All Fujinon C lenses were EBC coated.

A black shutter only mean it isn't as old as the chrome shutter. The features are the same, but not the price.

I have one in the chrome shutter and it's EBC coated and just fine, but also a great sharp lens! Just not as new as the black shuttered lenses. Jim

sashandaisy

Thank you all for your responses. Does is mean that an old chrome shutter is marginally or significantly less expensive?

B.

Thee are lots of people that prefer the black shutter because they like the look and/or the shutter is newer. How much more do you have to pay for this preference? Only the Shadow knows!

I've got a Fujinon C 300mm with the chrome shutter and as far as I know it still works as good as new. I thought I was WAY overpaying for it when I bought it new, but it's worth more now than when i bought it -- probably not if I adjusted for inflation, however.

It makes no difference whether black or chrome. What matters is how it was treated by the previous owner or owners. How much was it used and was it abused. Was it subjected to a lot of moisture or did it sit in a dry environment or was it dropped. I trashed a 121 Super Angulon when it came loose from the adapter board on my Sinar. It hit a concrete floor, broke two elements and warped the shutter. The shutter looked and functioned normally but was warped and worthless.

There are a lot of factors that determine condition of a shutter. Chrome vs black isn’t one I consider when buying a lens.I think my 300C is in a chrome shutter and I have a mix of chrome, black and the old ring design from the 70’s. They’re all working great and have never given a problem.

Drew Wiley

The entire C lineup is relatively late. I wonder if a single-coated version ever existed? Doubt it. I wouldn't worry much about whether the shutter ring is chrome or black, but only about the general condition. You'll still need to check the exact shutter speeds. With these Copal shutters, the highest speed is almost always way off; but it's also almost never used in typical LF work - in my case, never once yet.

And you can swap the shutter from a chrome to a black version or the other way round. It is a separate item from the lens cells.
    Expert in non-working solutions.

sashandaisy

Thank you all for your input. If I were to swap to a black version shutter, where would I be able to source one from?