Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Fotokemika shuts down paper manufacture

Re: Fotokemika shuts down paper manufacture

No experience or even recall seeing shots on SFX. How close to infrared, how much of an IR effect can you get?
    Roger, there are plenty of images on the net. Just google them. When I first tried this film in the 90's, I got excellent IR effects with the use of #87 IR filter.

Film goes away, too. Mirko from German Fotoimpex visited Samobor and got a definite confirmation:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/1...ml#post1384104

Sad.

Drew Wiley

If the sky falls, hopefully certain formulas will be revived in Germany, using more modern
    coating equip. I'd really like to see the equivalent of Efke 25 film kept alive. It's a popular film and there's nothing else quite like it, though I personally use it in smaller formats, not in sheet version. It could use a better antihalation layer, as well as better cleanroom
    conditions. The formula itself is an old one, so not exactly secret. Hate to see EMaks paper
    go away too, but the era of a serious graded selection seems to be nearly over.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I've used the Efke 25 in sheets for a long time and I'm bummed. It is my main film especially in 8x10. I was part of an order of 8x20 a while ago and I wish I'd ordered more at the time. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I've used the Efke 25 in sheets for a long time and I'm bummed. It is my main film especially in 8x10. I was part of an order of 8x20 a while ago and I wish I'd ordered more at the time. Oh well.
    Amen to that! Bummed to see it go.
    Erik

Drew Wiley

Oh, I could visualize a situation where nothing outwardly changes - still the Kodak label,
    still the same facilities, with them picking up some minor royalty fee for the trademark,
    but someone else owning the infrastructure, just like their chemical line which was sold off
    some time back. Sometimes these scenarios work out for the better, sometimes for the
    worse. Time will tell. The devil is in the details.

Drew Wiley

Oops - wrong post! Sorry, folks ... that was meant for another thread. Double-whammy today, esp since I'm developing both Ektar and R25 images this week, and have both on
    my mind!

Kodak has a factory and dosen't want to run it. Fotokemika has a worn out factory. Hmmmm...I wonder?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

I'd expect any EU product like Efke 25 to be revived in Germany under some kind of Adox
    label presumably. If the Kodak film label survives, I wouldn't expect them to do more than keep their flagship TMax line alive, at least as far as black and white film is involved. Maybe
    Tri-X too. Harman already has a superb selection of proven Ilford films, so don't know why
    they'd want to dabble into anything else. Wish something like Bergger 200 or Super-XX could be revived, but as long as TMY 8X10 is around, I'm pretty happy. Small cameras are
    a more difficult situation, because only Efke 25 gives that long-scale look, with fine detail
    under significant enlargement, mimicking the classic straight-line thick-emulsion sheet films. You use Efke 25 for contact printing don't you, John? It has wonderful scale without
    needing to resort to minus-development and all the midtone compression that comes with
    that.

Yes I still have a box of Efke 25 in the freezer---it's long been my favorite ultra slow speed film, even with it's soft emulsion. Beautiful stuff!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White