Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New Security Measures at B&H

Re: New Security Measures at B&H

I consider USPS provides the best service to and from ghetto Chicago.

I confess, I was a teenage mailman. Really, I started at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    Actually the post office is quick and inexpensive: I shipped a lensboard and flange from California to the East Coast on Monday and it was delivered 2 days later for $5.85!

Thomasina's

On another semi-related subject:
    I received a package from a NY shipper a couple weeks ago that was sent via a new(?) service called UPS SurePost. I tracked it until the date it was supposed to arrive, at which time the UPS tracking said the package had been turned over to my local USPS office for delivery and that a notice had been left at my address and instructed me to follow instructions on the notice. No notice had been left, so I went to the P.O. to inquire. I was told that use of the UPS SurePost system means that the package was turned over to a USPS facility (nearly 20 miles away) and would be held there until 300 additional packages were received before deliveries would start and that eventually would be delivered to me by USPS. I waited three more days and returned to the P.O. to express my concern for the delivery. They went into the back room and returned with the package. I think this shipping option stinks!

I'm now expecting another package from a different retailer sent via UPS SurePost, so it's wait and see if things work out better this time. If I experience the same delay, I'll be looking for a way to inform a retailer about my preference for a different method before it's shipped.
    Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 21-Jan-2014 at 21:54.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

B&H is using Smartpost or something like that. UPS delivered one package to USPS in Sacramento in the afternoon for Delivery to me here in the Bay. It hit the local post office at 8:48am the next morning and was out for delivery 30 minutes later.

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by tgtaylor View Post
    B&H is using Smartpost or something like that. UPS delivered one package to USPS in Sacramento in the afternoon for Delivery to me here in the Bay. It hit the local post office at 8:48am the next morning and was out for delivery 30 minutes later.

Thomas
    That whole thing seems strange why not just send it via the US Postal Service in the first place..?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Rememer YOU [meaning B&H] choose the shipping
    That's not true. The customer chooses the shipping method and carrier. B&H simply does as requested.

I always have my B&H orders sent via USPS to my PO Box. Never had a problem.

One final and very obvious point, maybe you guys should stop taping your boxes with giant letters that say B&H photo all over the box, and use regular blank tape, it's pretty obvious when you see a B&H package sitting there that it is probably something expensive inside just based on the tape that you guys use, if you didn't have that stupid tape that advertises "hey steal me, I'm valuable" maybe you would have less theft issues...
    I must agree with Stone on this one. Anonymity is the best security.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

One final and very obvious point, maybe you guys should stop taping your boxes with giant letters that say B&H photo all over the box...
    It's been years since packages from B&H have had anything like the full name anywhere on the outside of the box. These days the tape just says "B.H."; there's no "photo" or "video" or "electronics" anywhere. No doubt some have learned to recognize that, but if you don't already know who "B.H." is, it could just as well be kitty litter inside.

Oren, I just received a package from B&H yesterday and you are correct. Adorama needs to tone it down on their boxes.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    It's been years since packages from B&H have had anything like the full name anywhere on the outside of the box. These days the tape just says "B.H."; there's no "photo" or "video" or "electronics" anywhere. No doubt some have learned to recognize that, but if you don't already know who "B.H." is, it could just as well be kitty litter inside.
    The tape is pretty obvious....

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Thanks. The tape is tamper resistant and shows tampering readily. That's one reason we ask for photos of the outside of the box when a customer tells us an item is missing.

Just FYI received a package from B&H today, it does seem that they have changed their tape that they use on the boxes, it's certainly not read anymore, and it doesn't have the big giant BH photo label on the tape, it's now a standard black tape, it still says BH which if you are in the know and are looking for it, it would still be something that would catch your eye, but it's certainly not as blatantly obvious as the red logo colored tape.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390850030.896623.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	109331

Secondly to note, they left it at my door with no issue, I didn't have to request any kind of special shipping arrangements or anything just left at my doorstep like they always do, I think it may be up to the guy in the truck as far as if they're leaving it or not, my shipment contains a bunch of chemicals.

Anyway just wanted to note it must be up to the driver?