Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's With the Rodinal? Can't Find Any

Re: What's With the Rodinal? Can't Find Any

Adox Rodinal is now available at Freestyle.

Good timing as I was running low. I put my order through!

Ditto

I will be comparing this and that

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi7475 View Post
    Adox Rodinal is now available at Freestyle.

Good timing as I was running low. I put my order through!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Ditto

I will be comparing this and that
    It’s identical to Adox Adonal, said to be different and “finer grained” than R09. The differences are probably not photographically significant (especially in large format). Enjoy!

I gave up on Rodinal and its variants three years ago, in favor of the Pyro developers: Pyrocat HD and PMK. Both are superior for rendering super sharp negatives, and for preserving highlight detail separation (something Rodinal doesn't do). You can use Pyrocat HD as a semi-stand developer as well, if you're looking for the compensation effect
    Last edited by paulbarden; 2-Oct-2022 at 16:22.

Film developer depends on image needs, no differnt than lenses and similar..
    There is no single "superior" B&W film that ideally fits every need and any given film/developer/print making is done as a system, not just developer alone.

Bernice

Paul, I assume is calling me out with his 'LOVES' emphasis.

No worries, I am Sin Eater.

I have my personal reasons for loving Rodinol, as it supports my emulation of 1895.

I have tried Pyro, even have it on hand.

Some here insist their way or the...

Caffenol??

Quote Originally Posted by paulbarden View Post
    I gave up on Rodinal and its variants three years ago, in favor of the Pyro developers: Pyrocat HD and PMK. Both are superior for rendering super sharp negatives, and for preserving highlight detail separation (something Rodinal doesn't do). You can use Pyrocat HD as a semi-stand developer as well, if you're looking for the compensation effect. I've grown to dislike Rodinal immensely because it is brutal in how it handles highlight separation, and often sends high values soaring to near-unprintable densities. Pyro developers harden the emulsion as it develops, which has the effect of preventing sharp edges from "bleeding" (silver migration due to high sulfite concentrations), giving a sharp negative with excellent edge effects. Also, because a significant portion of the image density is from pyro stain, it masks the grain, most evident in the higher values. Rodinal, on the other hand, achieves its sharpness and strong edge effects by rendering sharp grain which is coarse and very obvious in the print.
    Pyrocat HD is superior in every way, and lasts for years as a concentrate, costing something like twenty cents per roll to develop film.
    I realize that none of this is going to change the mind of anyone who loves Rodinal, but I can't help but wonder how many would be astonished to discover how much better their results can be using one of the Pyro developers, and ditch the Rodinal.
    Tin Can

multiplex

Caffenol??
    there you go, yes caffenol best developer EVER! ! and if you add a little bit of rodinal or dektol or ansco 130 or whatever you want in there and make it even better! ( hard to believe, and no you don't need to use a scale, just eyeball measure and / or use tablespoons )
    if you want some beans let me know I have about 30 lbs in my garage and the developer seems to last a long long time. I've been affected by people who don't waste so I use my developer till it's coughing and saying "lights are growing dim" dead, and then mix some of it in with the next batch. I didn't realize when I bought the beans I was going to have to be buried with them.

John, I get fresh Italian Dark Roast beans every 2 months, those I grind and drink. AeroPress!

I have your recommended 'coffee' on hand!

but was it used in 1895?

Quote Originally Posted by jnantz View Post
    there you go, yes caffenol best developer EVER! ! and if you add a little bit of rodinal or dektol or ansco 130 or whatever you want in there and make it even better! ( hard to believe, and no you don't need to use a scale, just eyeball measure and / or use tablespoons )
    if you want some beans let me know I have about 30 lbs in my garage and the developer seems to last a long long time. I've been affected by people who don't waste so I use my developer till it's coughing and saying "lights are growing dim" dead, and then mix some of it in with the next batch. I didn't realize when I bought the beans I was going to have to be buried with them.
    Tin Can

Fear not. Rodinal separates highlights as well as pyro, catechol, D-76, D-23 etc. whatever else.

No worries, I am Sin Eater.

I have my personal reasons for loving Rodinol, as it supports my emulation of 1895.

I have tried Pyro, even have it on hand.

Caffenol??

No, not at all, Randy. In fact, I was unaware that you were one of the Rodinal enthusiasts. To each his own. *shrug*