Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A question about Sander

A question about Sander

John, As I said before, Sanders genius was in his ability to capture the Human condition. And I think he may agree with you, at times that condition can be unnerving and disturbing. So I think by you feeling this way Sanders has accomplished exactly what he set out to do.

A question about Sander

It could be a tessar, although someone does't expect such sharpness from this lens.
    John yours was the inpression i got in the beginning looking at Sanders work , but then i started to see a lot of love for the subjects, seen as human beings many times victims of social oor political rules. I saw a lot of compassion, look at the kids in nazi uniform, the peasants dressed with their sunday clothings. Many understand his work as documentation of the German Society in the 20s 30s and 40s , i see it at a more universal level.
    Thank you for the responses.

A question about Sander

domenico,

Sander's portraits keep drawing me back for another look, thats for sure! I do see the humanity Sanders captured. The photo of the emaciated farmer recollected the graphic photos of prison camp survivors. The same look in their eyes almost. The political prisoner is an image that haunts me, while the Falstaff-like prussian(?) policeman with the moustache looks like it escaped from a time warp. I have to agree with robert---if these portraits were meant to be unsettling, Sanders did a great job, and to photograph that many portraits and have each one tell a unique story, that surely is genius. I'm guess I'm seeing Sanders work as a documentary that collides with humanity. Thanks for this thread, domenico. Sanders is certainly an interesting photographer with an intriging portfolio.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

A question about Sander

Evelyn Hofer. Wow! Just seen some of her photographs. Why haven't I heard of her before? What a great photographer she is. What camera format does she use?