Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Plustek 120 scanner

Re: Plustek 120 scanner

A friend of mine spent some time talking with those people at Photokina and also saw some actual scanning test with 120 film and he noticed that focus shifted a lot towards the boards, althought the reps didn't seem to care much about it.
    So it seems that it delivers good resolution, but the masks doesn't provide film flatness and there was no way of adapting a glass sandwich, since it had no options for correting focus. At least, there wasn't by the time it was shown.
    I managed to use a single AN glass pressing my panoramic 6x17 negatives on Epson masks, but even then the quality still stays far from what I get with Nikon 9000.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Graves View Post
    The test would be moot for most of us, considering that the 9000 can no longer be acquired. Not new, anyway.
    I see Coolscan 9000 tends to sell for upwards of $2000 used so it's definitely not any cheaper. The question remains if the Plustek can give a 10 year old scanner a run for its money.

Why does everyone forget the 8000? I've seen LS-8000's going for as low as $1,000 used, with all the film holders.

But hey, keep ignoring it until I pick up another one (sold my first one when I ditched MF but now I want it back!).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Used is fine with me. The goal is to have the best tool, not the cheapest or newest. That is why the 9000 is the one to beat, and still relavent.

The difference between the Nikon 8000 and the 9000 is cosmetic only? That is a good price for a little used or good condition item.
    They are good but a little slow and noisy.. tika tika tika, i read with interest that some wet mount with them maybe that will happen with the plustek to get the most out of it

more differences between 8000 and 9000 than just cosmetics, btw.

Isn't there like a slight difference in multi-coatings, making them all but the same? I don't think there is any real difference.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The point if it being used has nothing to do with quality. My 1938 Wollensak 190mm gives me better images than my 180mm Fuji. The point is that for every one scanner that comes available, there are six people who want it. That has two effects. It drives the price up for the people bidding, so they wind up paying as much for a 10-year old used scanner without a warranty as they would a new one. With no assurance that it will last more than a couple of scans before it craps out. Secondly, the other five who DIDN'T win the bid are still without a scanner. A currently manufactured scanner is there for everyone who can afford it.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Reviving this thread to find out if there's anyone else near the Portland, OR metro area who has one of these. I got mine in the first batch from B&H and my UPS driver said mine was the 3rd she had delivered that day. Looking to compare notes and results in person.

Thanks--

Greg

Scott Davis

Bumping this thread - has there been any more real-world use of this scanner since early this year? I'm happy enough with my Epson V750, and it will stick around for the future as I do have need of flatbed scanning of prints, but it would be nice to have something that does a better job if possible on medium format film.